WW II trash bins

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
shameless plug for Minart but I saw this and was wondering if this is applicable to a trash bin during WWII? I was going to start a small dio with the location being St Lo...would this be applicable? what type of trash bins were around during this time?

1357641-32588-46-720.jpg

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
You might get away with the small cylindrical ribbed bins but I'm guessing that the larger wheeled ones wouldn't be seen in rural France until the 1960's or later

Reactions: JR

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
They look too modern.
I haven't seen any bins like those in my searches of French street photographs from the 1930' s

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I highly doubt any of those would have been around at the time. Maybe, maybe the round ones, but even they look like modern(ish) aluminium ones to me. If France used bins anything like these, they would almost certainly have been of galvanised iron, which doesn’t need the ribs because it’d be much thicker than the stamped aluminium sheet. Searching for poubelle ancienne (“old dustbin”) turns up ones like these:

ancienne-poubelle-en-metal-.jpg
2-poubelle.jpg
9533bce4-f526-42f7-8fff-46ce00596622
poubelle.jpg

Of course, for all I know these too are post-war, but I can’t see any dates on them and it’s not quite my area of expertise, so I’m assuming they’re representative enough :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The round ribbed ones are, or rather where, made of galvanised steel. Strong and light.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The round ribbed ones are, or rather where, made of galvanised steel. Strong and light. Wwii might have been a bit before thier time though..
I have definitely seen ribbed ones in pics of WWII US warships . Will post the evidence when I get to my PC

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's one from my "personal" collection. :smiling5: I no longer use it as a waste bin,........it now holds bird seed for the feeder.....it is quite old, as you can see by the last inspection date. Apparently it went through more than a couple of wars..... ;)

Oh, it stands 24" tall and 15" in diameter. If I had to guess it is probably .050 to .060" thick. I can't get an accurate measurement as it has been roll hemmed on all the exposed edges. Hope this is helpful:thumb2:
P1012918.JPG

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I remember the galvanized ribbed cans in use in US late war pics.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Found it- this is on D-Day - a US Coat Guard 'Landing Craft'
0099935-WORLD-WAR-II-D-DAY-1944-US-Coast-Guard-landing-craft-listing-and-sinking-after-taking-...jpg
doesn't really answer the OP question , though as it's not French....

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thank you all for the response... Thank you Jakko and Rick for the great pics...the cylindrical ones without ribs are definitely a type that I can scratch build....interesting that there were some type of receptacle at all as I thought many metals were used to support the war effort...although trash would have to go someplace...thanks again all for the insight.