WW2 French Color?

W

Weeman0000

Hey guys, been semi busy for a while so not had time to model, back at it with 4 at once. That being said im stuck, im unsure what the french blue/green color is or where to get a pre-made one. (without mixing my own)

I'm basically doing for this camo scheme below but no clue as all the humbrol/revell colors seem to have a different color on the tin lid/picture on amazon than whats actually in the tin. Azure Blue looked like a good match, turns out its more of a baby blue.

Also what is that scheme called? After an hour googling it iv only managed to find three images, none of which show the right, top or rear of the tank So more source images would be awesome as well.

Any assistance would be great thanks!

Jason

amx_3010.jpg

amx-30.jpg

full.jpg

Last edited:
W

Weeman0000

Ok, so its a venezuelan camo scheme, Still unsure about that blue/green/grey color.

[EDIT] I also have a lot more source pictures to work from.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
On my computer the shade on those tanks looks more of a dark olive drab rather than a blue/green shade Jason. Should be easy to match a dark OD.

W

Weeman0000

Depending on light/angle it looks grey green slate to turquoise. But there must be an actual name for it, searched all i could but nothings really coming up. It looks like a slightly turquoise version of the M41 Walker in my display pic. Hmm ill wait and see if anyone else knows, im sure im not the only one who's tried to paint a french tank in WW2 colors :smiling3:

[EDIT] Not sure if posting links to amazon is allowed or not, but i wonder if any of these would be correct? (search on amazon [uk])

Vallejo Model Color 17 ml Acrylic Paint - French Mirage Blue

Vallejo Model Color 17 ml Acrylic Paint - Dark Prussian Blue

Vallejo Model Color 17 ml Acrylic Paint - Intermediate Blue

Vallejo Model Color 17 ml Acrylic Paint - Olive Green

Im thinking (have ordered) the French Mirage Blue... It looks very much like it.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What is that tank and when is it from? Might help narrow the field a bit :smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

Its an AMX 30B2 with a venezuelan camo scheme. The sand color is quite easy, iv got a pale stone or beige, That 13/90 camo scheme is different from the one im doing, similar tho, maybe the venezuelan "green" is more of a blue?

Ill wait for the french blue to arrive and see what that looks like :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

It's blue! But I don't think that tank is, just my opinion like, but there it is! I've been looking at images of other Venezuelan AFVs and haven't found one that resembles blue, in any form. I would suggest you look at your reference images on a tablet, or someone else's computer, as monitor calibration seems to be as diverse as a really diverse thing! I find it interesting that Model air, and model colour ranges are also so different - if you look at any comparison charts, you'll see that there isn't an equivalent model air for French Mirage Blue, but looking at my hand painted Vallejo model air chart, I'd say that 71.111 or 71.113 are close to the swatch online for French Mirage, but as I've banged on about before, online swatches are barely of any use in practise. 

W

Weeman0000

"online swatches are barely of any use in practice"

Not wrong there lol! Yeah checked phone/tab and both monitors, seems to be a grey/blue/green color hahaha Aww why don't paint sellers have pics of the dried paint ON a bit of plastic or whatever, would have no confusion as to whats inside the tin then lol.

Once this AB paint arrives ill check it out and see. The way my lucks going it will be neon red when its here.

Heres the azure blue, also the swatch was the same color as the tin lid... i mean really?!

paint.jpg

J

John Rixon

Aww why don't paint sellers have pics of the dried paint ON a bit of plastic or whatever, would have no confusion as to whats inside the tin then lol.

We'd still be scuppered by the fact that monitors all seem to be different, and secondly, a backlit image is difficult to compare with a printed image - best advice I'd give to a committed modeller is, every time you buy a new colour, paint a swatch of it in a watercolour sketchbook, with its name and number. You'll soon have a covetable resource showing you exactly what it looks like! Ask me how I know...

W

Weeman0000

Yeah that would be a good idea. Post came, still no french blue but ill update this when i get it. :smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

It arrived, painted the hull, its a very dark blue/grey more in keeping with earlier WW2 french factory color than the venezuelan scheme im going for, that being said its very close to what i want and also slightly darker than the azure blue tin lid in the pic above.

Got a new phone, redmi note 3 pro prime, great camera but its quite vivid with its color haha, its darker than that irl, plus it needs washed and weathered so it will dull down even further.

So in conclusion if you want a WW2 french blue this is about as close as iv found. maybe a hint of dark green could be added for a closer match but for me its good. Just gotta not SWEAR WORD the camo up as the pale stone color will be brushed on as airbrushing outside with wind would be a terrible idea.

Thanks for your input. Once im done ill either throw a pic in here or link to finished build. No doubt the latter.

Thanks again.

Jason

hull1.jpg

W

Weeman0000

Wow, that is definitely blue :smiling3:

It is, but its darker in real life, its not like the azure blue in the pic up there, it dried as it went on, once its weathered and has pale stone camo it should resemble a less green-tinted version of the reference pics. If not it will at least look kool :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am confused. The Venezuelan camo is green and sand. Where does the blue come into it?

W

Weeman0000

Hey Ian, Top pics are the scheme im going for, its a blue/grey/green (imo). More of a faded turquoise color. its not green in the traditional sense at least.

Just wait until its done, should look nice, but the winds picked up so i cant really get outside to airbrush the rest. done the hull then added more bits to it that would be hard to access in one go, turret and tracks are done too so i really just need to get out for the final coat before the camo goes on ect ect ect. So as soon as the wind dies down and i can get outside ill continue :smiling3: