WWII Buffalo LVT recovered after 74 years underground

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
More photos here:
It’s a fairly (but not very) early LVT (4), without a bow machine gun but with the hatches in the roof staggered instead of both being equally far forward. It also has the mounting for the 20 mm Polsten gun still on the roof.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Reading the report it sounds like there are three others around there somewhere?

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Andrew, nice to see the photos, esp the recovery vehicles.One looked to be ex army .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, nice to see the photos, esp the recovery vehicles.One looked to be ex army .
John,

No problem at all.

Couldn't believe how good a condition it came out in and no obvious large amounts of rust.

Can only assume that being buried reduced the amount of oxygen it was exposed to and so reduced the amount of rust.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On another forum where I posted a link to this story, someone found a clip that shows why these LVTs are there:

They were apparently used to repair a dyke that had broken, by being put into the gap and covered over.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
On another forum where I posted a link to this story, someone found a clip that shows why these LVTs are there:

They were apparently used to repair a dyke that had broken, by being put into the gap and covered over.
Thanks Jakko. Read it was to do it with flood defences but hadn't seen this. Thanks for posting.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just had this on the local news - think the family were a bit peeved that I knew what it was all about!