Xtracrylix paints

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys.

Got back to the bench today with my grandson and resumed work on our He219 builds. I'm using Xtracrylix paints as they're the closest colours I've been able to find.

So. I added a few drops of water to my A/B and did a quick check to make sure it was spraying OK. No problems so I added a few more drops of water to thin the paint a little (only about 10-20% water). As soon as I added the paint to the water, it started bubbling and fizzing! It died away after a minute or so, so I sprayed the bits I wanted and everything seems OK.

Any ideas what caused the reaction between the paint and water?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Never had that with my xtracrylix paint before. No idea sorry

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve used them, but never seen this......can’t think what ingredients in paint or tap water would cause this sort of reaction either...are you sure this wasn’t an air leak on the airbrush?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The bubbles were too tiny to be an air leak from the brush. The only thing I can think of is if some other chemical has got into the A/B somehow. My cleaning routine is pretty rigorous, so I don't think there were any cleaning agents left on it - and it's been about 6 weeks since I used it last so any solvents would surely have evaporated away after that length of time.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hubble bubble toil and trouble! Sounds a bit weird to me dave , Ive used Xtracrylix in the past but always thinned them with their own thinner (which didnt smell at all like water!) so dont know if it was the water or something else that caused the reaction. The good bit is it sprayed ok though , cheers tony

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
This happens to me occassionally with my dual action airbrush. I too use both acrylic and enamel in the same brush.
I ruled out a chemical reaction on the basis that none of the paints contain reactive elements.
I think I’ve identified it as ‘blowback’ caused by an obstruction in the nozzle.
A few things I do to try to limit this:
a. Add thinner to feeder cup first
2. Adjust needle
d. Ensure nozzles thouroughly clean