Yak 25 RV 'Mandrake' 1/72 Amodel

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , heres my entry for this GB , the Yak 25 RV -NATO code name 'Mandrake'. Its the Amodel kit of this little seen cold war reconnaissance aircraft and looks to be a nicely moulded offering. The fit is something that ive yet to determine however!! If its anything like most Amodel kits its not exactly going to fall together! It has lovely restrained panel lines and the cockpit and wheel wells are nicely done too. Heres the sprue shots and box art , cheers tony

DSCN1897 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1898 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1899 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1900 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1901 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1902 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Tony and I'm sure you'll do a grand job of it. Is it NMF or are there any different colour schemes.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Theres only the one option in the box Ian , but they were all silver anyway. I think it was a painted silver laquer and not a nat metal finish though so I dont have to go too mad with the differently shaded panels. cheers tony

EDIT. Bugger! ive just been googling (!) and it looks like they were polished metal after all , so im in for a pain in the a**e masking job again!!:mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks like a variation on the IL28 theme. And you thought you'd get away with a silver lacquer finish Tony... Still, if your previous NMF jobs are anything to go by it's going to look awesome.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It was a variation of the yak 25 flashlight intercepter joe. The flashlight had swept wings though , they basically just replaced these with the long span high aspect ratio ones to get better high altitude performance , thats why it looks a bit odd with the swept tail and straight wings like an il28

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres where I'm at with the Yak. The cockpit and main and nose wheel wells have been assembled and painted , the seat is ongoing . each wheel well was made up of about four or five pieces that all needed fettling a bit to get them together but thats just standard for a limited run kit like this and at least there were only two (bicycle type undercarriage with outriggers)  Ive also glued the wings together (again needing plenty of sanding ) and started on the two engine nacelles. These have two inserts fitted in to give the intake /exhaust the right length but are going to take a lot of filling and sanding to get seamless. The instructions would have you put the front and rear compressor faces on before the insert is fitted but i left them off as they can be fitted later before the nacell is fitted to the wing . This means i have a straight through open hole which will make it easier to sand the filler with some 1200 grit wrapped round a pencil.heres the pics cheers tony

DSCN1943.JPG

DSCN1944.JPG

DSCN1945.JPG

DSCN1946.JPG

DSCN1947.JPG

DSCN1948.JPG

DSCN1949.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hard work Tony but this will be worth it in the end. Looking good so far.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cockpit is done , I havent gone to town on it as its a closed canopy , so just gave it a paint job and added sone rudimentary belts from tape. Now i can get the fuselage together , not forgetting the nose weight , and crack on with the engines.  Cheers tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
In amongst the detritus and general crap of my flawlessly arranged workbench is the fuselage , held together with multitudes of clamps. I put a ball bearing in the nose to ensure it sits on its nosewheel and no doubt itll need some work on the seams - these limited run kits tend to fit where they touch , and it dont touch in too many places!!!!

image.jpeg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

the pit looks nice with the dials. funny aircraft, as it looks as if the soviets go the german Arado Ar 234 recon aircraft and modernised it, just like they did with the Ta 183 and turned it into the famous Mig 15 fighter

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well the fuselage has been filled ( and i mean every inch of the seam!) sanded, and the panel lines rescribed. I dont just mean where the sanding removed them i mean all of them as they were a bit faint! Ive also put the compressor faces into the engine pods and attached these to the wings .

The wings are now on the fuselage , these needing careful measuring and alignment to get exactly the right amount of anhedral to ensure the wingtip outriggers touch the ground. Heres a few pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A Boomer project Tony, nice work on the re-scribing and setting that anhedral.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont know about a Boomer joe , this is more like a - Building Ancient Soviet Technology And Related Dramas . Cheers tony