Yak 25 RV 'Mandrake' 1/72 Amodel

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well after filling ,sanding, rescribing,filling again , more sanding and rescribing ive got some paint on! Its had a base coat of grey primer then i polished this and gave it the gloss black Vallejo metal color primer . Once this has had a day or two to harden its onto the multi shaded metal colours

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
What a cracking looking plane and superb work so far Tony. 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Satisfying to get a shiny paint job done isn't it :smiling3: Looks good Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Those Ruskies never could get the hang of camouflage could they. LOL.

You got a great finish there Tony, 

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The awkward job of doing the different shaded panels has begun, using the vallejo metal colors .believe it or not theres a model under there somewhere!!!

image.jpeg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Tony as always. Nice to see another natural metal finish aircraft.

Never made an Amodel kit but it looks less than straight forward. The work on the panel lines looks well done and will real pay dividends under all that shiny paint.

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers paul , the Amodel kits are , er , shall we say not exactly Tamiya like in their fit and finish! They can with a bit of patience ( not to mention filler and sanding sticks!) scrub up alright , and tge choice of subjects is always very unusual not to mention unique in kit form most of the time. Strange thing is i really enjoy the challenge of building them , makes it all the more satisfying if you get a good result

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And this one Tony is starting to look like your getting a great result from it. Top work and don't you just love the Vallejo metal colours. 

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
And this one Tony is starting to look like your getting a great result from it. Top work and don't you just love the Vallejo metal colours. 

Have to agree Ian , at last Ive found a metal paint that i can get on with.The Metal Color paints are easy to use , dont smell too strong and once cured for a day or so are very resistant to marking during handling or masking , and the clear varnish doesnt dull the finish. cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Which colour did you use? I want aluminium, but notice its out of stock...

I used chrome for the first all over coat , then dark aluminium for the panels over the engines and the ailerons. Ive got more to do yet such as the engines which i'll be doing with steel and more panels in dark aluminium . Cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done to this , the engines have had panels done in a darker steel colour and various access panels and hatches have been picked out too. Ive given it a coat of metal color varnish and once thats had a few days to cure its decalling time, cheers tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Decals are on , but not exactly as the kit supplied .i wanted to depict a yak 25 rv , the standard version , but the kit is of the 25 rvII which was an unmanned radar target drone . To do this was easy , just leave off the bump under the rear fuselage , the fitting at the base of the fin and various other small aerials , pitots and protuberances . This just leaves the serial number which i sourced from the spares box , yellow 20. I had to paint the anti glare panel as the decal just cracked up and disintegrated , but the rest of the decals including the tiny stencils all behaved themselves. 

Next up is the undercarriage doors , outriggers, pitot and aerials, cheers tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg