yak faces monogram fw 190a-5

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi all , heres my chosen victim, the monogram 1/48 fw 190a-5. I got it from e-bay for about £10 as i rather liked the look of the markings, and these old monogram kits are usually pretty nice to build. Obviously due to its age (around mid 80s) it has raised detail but its ok and some of the internal detail ,ie. cockpit ,wheel wells is a bit basic but i enjoy scratchbuilding the missing bits,liking the challenge of getting a nice result from an older kit.The only real problem is that the decals are for hermann grafs machine and have a lightning flash in black outlined in red, whereas all the profiles ive found show it to be red outlined in yellow , this aside the decals are fine, ill just have to cross that bridge when i come to it. I might not be starting it just yet as im a bit preoccupied changing my car , but hopefully ill post some progress soon, meanwhile here are some sprue shots. cheers tony

View attachment 22575

View attachment 22576

View attachment 22577

View attachment 22578

P1050758 [Desktop .JPG

P1050759 [Desktop .JPG

P1050756 [Desktop .JPG

P1050757 [Desktop .JPG

F

Fenlander

Nice one Tony. Look forward to seeing what you make of it. There is a great mix of kits and marks, should be an interesting comparison at the end.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looks like some nice detail on this one Tony. Looking forward to the build mate.

Have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You certainly find some exotic kits Tony, and for a tenner. I reckon that the marking with the "wrong" colours could easily be sprayed if it bothers you. Good to know the decals are okay,I was once given an old Monogram Eastern Airlines DC-3 and the decals definitely weren't okay LOL. Isn't it good to see such a variety of kits and ideas for the GB.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tony,

Having seen the fantastic job you do with 1/72, I can't wait to see what you'll be doing in the larger scale.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
You certainly find some exotic kits Tony, and for a tenner. I reckon that the marking with the "wrong" colours could easily be sprayed if it bothers you. Good to know the decals are okay,I was once given an old Monogram Eastern Airlines DC-3 and the decals definitely weren't okay LOL. Isn't it good to see such a variety of kits and ideas for the GB.Cheers

Steve
hi steve , i think the decals should be fine due to the fact its a monogram kit from just after they were taken over by revell , so revell have done the decals, it should be quite interesting making up the missing details but i love getting a decent result from an older kit. Ive been reading up on old hermann too, like a lot of the luftwaffe aces his background story makes interesting reading, and luckily for me , he was partial to some very colourful personal markings on his aircraft. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
See now you got me googleing like mad! Found a few photos of kits, so if they are right or wronge? However, they all had, as you said red bolts with yellow edging. The cowl markings were also different the those on the kit. Red points on a yellow ground. Superb looking 'plane though.

looking forwards to seeing what an expert makes of it!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
dont know if you are interested but found this: 1/48 Decals f

Look like the real deal from what I have seen.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers for that ian, very interesting.I managed to find some red lightning decals in the spares box so i might be able to wing it. I know what you mean about the yellow cowl, ive seen profiles with the cowl painted all yellow and just the underneath yellow, must be a later alteration .I think im going to do the all yellow version. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Im sure it will be a super build regardless if you do the early or the late version. I'm quite tempted to do one myself.

Looking forwards to actually seing some photos from your build.

Ian M

N

noble

Hi Tony sorry mate iam just trying to catch up with everyones posts, i loce the kit it looks nice the box art looks cool good luck with the build.

scott

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi all , well its been a long time coming but ive finally started in earnest. I just couldnt get motivated ,i think it was fw 190 overload !! Anyway,as i mentioned earlier the kit is very basic, so ive had to add extra detail as required. The instrument panel as supplied is too small and has a tiny, rubbish looking decal for it,so that was replaced with plastic card of the right size and shape and the details painted on.Its not eduard standard but itll pass muster with a closed canopy! Similarly the rudder pedals were simulated by painting a rough image in silver onto the black painted cockpit tub back wall.The rest of the cockpit was taken care of by adding a trim wheel and a throttle lever and painting a few details. The seat is always a highly visible area so a bit of extra detail here is a must. The kit seat wasnt bad but needed belts so i got a MDC etched belt set ive got for a 1/32 heinkel 162 and copied that in 1/48. I used 5 amp fusewire bent to shape and surgical tape plus a couple of bits of wine foil for the leather bits under the lap belts. These were all made with the help of the invaluable illuminated magnifying lamp! The wheel wells are next and as can be seen from the pic there arent any!! The trouble is that ive just got started and now im off on holiday on thurs!!!! at least ive still got about 4 weeks left when i come back. cheers tony

View attachment 23700

View attachment 23701

View attachment 23702

View attachment 23703

View attachment 23704

View attachment 23705

View attachment 23706

P1060342 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060337 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060338 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060339 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060340 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060332 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well if the rest of this build follows the standard of that seat, this is going to be a little gem once you have done you magic on it.

Dude that seat is the dogs dangly bits!

Have a great holiday. Where you off to, anywhere nice?

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers ian!it would have been a lot easier to buy an etched set- what was i thinking!!!!!!! As for the hols , hopefully im going to lanzarote for a week if the volcanic ash cloud doesnt put the kibosh on it!!!! cheers mate tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tony,

Gotta go along with Ian - that's a nice start!

What you goin' all the way to Lanzarote for? Just some sun, sea, sand and R&R? You could get mos..... som..... nah! Not in this country! Enjoy yourself an' get your batteries re-charged.

See you when you get back.

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

Cracking scratch build details mate - I'm taking notes!

Cheers

P

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers chaps! much appreciated. tony

F

Fenlander

ten out of ten for a proper build rather than glueing Eduamiya bits together for a near guaranteed good finish. Look forward to seeing this develop.

I really like Lanzarote, always a cool breeze blowing, although easy to be lulled into thinking it is cooler than it is and getting some painful sunburn.... Don't ask.

If you get the chance, go to the Volcano (National) Park. A really weird yet stunning lunar landscape. We stayed at Puerto Del Carmen, really good holiday, plenty of things to see with the coach tours very reasonable.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nicely done Tony. That dark green plastic reminds me of a Revell kit (probably originally monogram) that I had a proper fight with a while ago. Looks like you are winning this one.

Cheers

Steve