Yaks ‘century series’ in 1/48 part 4 - the Lockheed F-104C Starfighter

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Have fun with the aluminium paint Tony!
I always try to avoid aluminium schemes since it's not that easy to get to look right :thumb2:... looking forward to the next steps.
Steven
I used to do the same steven , i could never get the finish I wanted . I tried Vallejo model air metallics - sprayed great , looked great but didnt stand up to handling or masking very well , and a clear protective coat altered the colour too much . I had a very brief go with Alclad - smelt terrible and just couldnt get the hang of them , used half a bottle trying to get decent coverage on a pair of tailplanes - if i had carried on and done the whole aircraft i would have used about another three bottles!! I know plenty of people swear by the stuff but it just didnt suit me at all. Then i tried the Vallejo Metal Colors .
Easy to use , great coverage ( misted on in a few thin coats , dont be tempted to try and get coverage all in one go) and very resistant to handling and masking . Their clear gloss doesnt alter the colour too . One thing I have found though is their black gloss primer is a bit thin , i now use UMP ( ex badger stynlrez ) black gloss as a base coat as it covers better . I suppose any black gloss will do . Hope this helps cheers tony

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for the help Tony! I have their 'aluminium' metal color but not yet used it in the airbrush for projects like this, mostly brush-work, will give it a shot in a future project :thumb2:
Cheers,
Steven

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the main colour on tonight , just drying nicely now . Next is a top coat of varnish , gloss for the fuselage and a matt for the titanium tail section ,which will then be having some burnt metal effects applied . 077C8000-80A4-405B-B9C1-3C559DD063E5.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Unmasked , Just a few areas that needed a touch up . I decided the dark band on the rear fuselage was too dark so i gave it a lighter coat . The rear fuselage section has now been matt varnished ready for the burnt metal effects to be applied ( eye shadow!) as they stick better to this surface. BF5D34BF-7EA5-4E90-9BA7-D90DEFA813E0.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great natural metal work Tony. Your eye shadow weathering work has resulted in very nice effects in the past, look forward to seeing them on the F104 :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Tony this is lookin great as the starfighter is one of my fav aircraft an its a pity that it got that horrible nickname the widow maker an your metal paint schemes is looking very realistic brilliant build so far :thumb2:
chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finally started the decals last night . I knew the Monogram decals might be a bit troublesome due to their age - past experiences with them breaking up spring to mind - but they werent bad at all in that respect . I thought i would try a test first so got the red line decal that goes on the airbrake , if it went tits up then it would be an easy fix . The decal came off the backing paper eventually but like the RF84 Thunderflash i did a while back ,the decal was covered in an opaque milky glue . It even says on the back of the decal sheet that they may appear milky but will dry clear. Being a natural metal finish I wanted the carrier film to be as invisible as possible so I just couldnt risk the milky effect not clearing. Solution? As with the Thunderflash , i had to soak every decal till it came off the paper , then leave them submerged for a good while to soften the glue and scrub off all the glue with a paintbrush and plenty of water. The decals were then fixed by laying onto wet Klear ( johnsons not the Humbrol rubbish ) Needless to say this took ages but eventually i got them all on and this morning the carrier film is barely visible . 6F62B9CB-3C78-4476-AAC3-CFC5353F6391.jpegB62CCE29-4922-4384-9EE7-5555D951DDA5.jpegBEACF111-5A30-4614-B4D9-0504754B0CC7.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN A BEAUTIFULL MODEL Tony every thing looks just how it should look to me
:thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The starfighter has now had a couple of coats of Klear to seal the decals in and give a nice uniform sheen . The tail area was matt varnished and masked off prior to this , so that the heat staining effects can be applied easier ( eye shadow ) . Ive also been sorting the sidewinders . The kit supplied Aim 9Bs were not a bad representation but no stencils or stripe decals were provided . So out with the spare decal box and they got jazzed up with stencils and stripes , the seeker head made by sanding off the end and adding a blob of kristal kleer to represent the glass . Next up heat staining and then all the sticky out bits .2F71DDBA-CBEB-44B5-820D-DB4CF9A103A5.jpegAB4DA786-9F9B-4F09-A195-B7C3036E0CFB.jpegA23CEC85-90B8-4C5F-9868-3CB4DD6AB8E4.jpeg