Yaks airfix scorpion light tank in 1/76

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You are supposed to be able to build a scimitar too ( by changing the mantlet and gun barrel only ) but i think the one depicted is a prototype and bears little resemblance to any production machine ive seen
Scimitar and Scorpion pretty much differ only in the gun and mantlet, externally anyway. The later ones are usually seen with large stowage boxes on the sides of the turret, but there are photos of non-trials vehicles without them. I’m looking through Tanks Illustrated No. 22: Scorpion — The CVR(T) Range by Simon Dunstan (London: Arms & Armour Press, 1986; ISBN 0-85368-747-1) and in 13 pages of Scimitar pictures, none has the turret-side stowage boxes. In fact, the only photo in the whole book that shows them is on the front cover (funnily enough, a book titled Scorpion has a Scimitar on the front :smiling3:).

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scimitar and Scorpion pretty much differ only in the gun and mantlet, externally anyway. The later ones are usually seen with large stowage boxes on the sides of the turret, but there are photos of non-trials vehicles without them. I’m looking through Tanks Illustrated No. 22: Scorpion — The CVR(T) Range by Simon Dunstan (London: Arms & Armour Press, 1986; ISBN 0-85368-747-1) and in 13 pages of Scimitar pictures, none has the turret-side stowage boxes. In fact, the only photo in the whole book that shows them is on the front cover (funnily enough, a book titled Scorpion has a Scimitar on the front :smiling3:).

Chieftan side bins were often fitted to scimitars and scorpions for extra storage.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The long Chieftain hull bins? Those went along the hull sides of CVR(T)s as well, not usually on the turret, to the best of my knowledge :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After consultation with my personal scorpion guru (papa695) ive decided to do the headlights underneath the front apron (?) i also want to depict the sidelights and indicators and to this end ill be using my trusty poundshop nail art stuff ! The little caviar balls will do perfectly for the side/ tail lights and indicators and the jewels will make nice sparkly headlights! Im also going to use sone holographic confetti on the viewing ports to give a nice glass effect . 2391FBAE-FC75-425F-BEB7-5A05266CEC3A.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jeez mucker, just what is Helen going to do without her nail stuff - presuming it is hers....... :confused:!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the front apron (?)
It’s the bottom plate of the floatation screen. The lights were originally underneath it because the folded-up screen rested on top of it; once it had been done away with, the lamps could move up on top of it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more progress , ive given the white another coat and it looks tons better , thanks Ian for the info. Ive also been adding the viewing ports from my trusty stock of holographic confetti and made a start on making the indicators/sidelights , where i will be using the caviar balls. The headlight mounts have been made from drilled plastic card and fixed under the apron , theyre not exactly standard but then again looking at lots of pics of actual machines i must have seen at least half a dozen different types so im not worried! cheers tonyDSCN3040.JPGDSCN3041.JPGDSCN3042.JPGDSCN3043.JPGDSCN3045.JPGDSCN3046.JPGDSCN3050.JPGDSCN3051.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Camos looking a lot better now Tony. Nice work on the coloured glass. Did you put some on your own nails while you were at it?:smiling5::smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Camos looking a lot better now Tony. Nice work on the coloured glass. Did you put some on your own nails while you were at it?:smiling5::smiling3:
Steve you wouldnt believe the amount of eye shadow / eye liner / nail stuff ive got and regularly use , on the models of course cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ironic isnt it ? The recent cold weather had been preventing me from applying the rest of my arctic camo ! Anyway it warmed up enough yesterday to get in the shed. I finished applying the viewing ports and touched them up around the edges. The turret just needs aerials and the spotlight adding . The spotlight was a solid piece in the kit so i drilled it out and painted it with chrome paint

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well im calling this done . After a serious loss of mojo coupled with a lack of spare time has meant that ive not touched this for about four weeks. Ive added the sidelights and indicators and the finishing touches to the turret (aerials , spotlight and machine gun on the mantlet ), added the exhaust and painted the tools . Heres a couple of pics to finish this thread off and I'll try and get some proper ones done on a 'completed' thread tomorrow. Thanks to anyone whos been watching , cheers tony331939331940