Yaks Civilian Aircraft GB , Airfix 1/144 Boeing 737-200 Britannia airways

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice conversion in progress here, it's going to add interest to your build Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well after looking at pictures and specs for ground tugs from the 70s Ive decided that the 1/200 Hummer is nowhere near big enough. This leaves only one option - build one from scratch . Ive seen photos of the Douglas DC -6 tug (no relation to the US aircraft maker , in fact its a british company) and its the one i want to roughly represent. Ive started to make a basic body from plastic sheet , luckily the shape is very square sided and sourced some appropriate sized wheels from the spares box . The real thing was about 16 feet long which equates to about 32mm . Ive got the cab to add to this and other bits and bobs . heres the pics and one of the completed aircraft -I'll do a fully completed thread once ive finished doing the tug and base on this one, cheers tonyDSCN2550 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2551 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2552 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2574 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the latest progress on the scratch built tug and base . I got a cheap A4 picture frame for the base frame ,im using a piece of hardboard for the actual runway which will be fitted in the frame. I scribed the concrete panel joints on this -looking at photos of manchester airport from the 70's i guessed the dimensions, this was then sprayed black followed by various greys and beiges ,ive still got to mucky it up a bit and add a few oil/fuel stains. The tug has had a few more bits of plastic card added to the inside ,to mount the wheels to and box off the cab.Ive added seats and a steering wheel to this. An old CD case was cut up for the clear cab sections and glued together then masked up ready to be attached to the body. Ive also put on some details on the rear deck and sprayed a couple of bumpers yellow and black . heres the pics
DSCN2588 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2589 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2590 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2582 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2583 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2584 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2585 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2586 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2587 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2591 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2592 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2593 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2594 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2595 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2596 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today - the tug has been primed and painted gloss white and ive given the wheels a wash and stuck them on. Ive also made a towing bar from rod and two of the tiny wheels from the 1/200 hummer , the tug wheels were from the 1/144 revell concorde i did ages ago. Tomorrow ive got to stick on the bumpers and towing hitch , make some grilles and lights ( probably from spare bits of decal) then its just about ready for putting with the 737 on the base and taking to the newark show . Cheers tony

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 4

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Tug is looking great Tony. Very small work project that one, but it's going to look the part with your 737

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well i got it done last night ,just in time for the Newark show tomorrow. I finished the tug off with some bits of spare decal - the unused landing lights from the Two six 737 sheet for the headlights and bits of the unused seat decal from the camaro kit for the grilles. I made rear lights and the amber beacon from poundland nail art gems and also used these to make the door mirrors , mounted on fuse wire arms. The towing hitches were made from pieces of U shaped evergreen rod with tiny bits of round rod added . Thebase was finished off with random splatters and fluid stains and fitted into the frame . Heres the pics of thetug and a couple of the finished frame and 737 , I'll be putting a full set on a completed thread later , thanks for watching cheers tonyDSCN2598 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2599 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2600 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2601 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2602 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2603 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2604 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2605 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2606 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2607 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2609 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2610 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2611 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2612 [Desktop Resolution].JPG