Yaks cross kitted MiG 15 UTI 'Midget' in 1/32 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres my offering for the 'That wasnt in the box!' GB. Its going to be a cross kitted conversion , taking a MiG 15 BIS and a Shenyang JJ5 ,splicing them and hopefully coming out with a Mig 15 UTI 2 seat trainer. The victims are the 1/32 Trumpeter JJ5 and the 1/32 Frog MiG 15 BIS (actually a rebox of Trumpeters MiG 15 ) They look similar to anyone not familiar with MiGs but the JJ5 is actually a chinese 2 seat conversion of the MiG 17 , a very different bird to the MiG 15 (more sharply swept wings ,larger tail , longer fuselage, different airbrakes etc.). Mikoyan themselves never made a 2 seat MiG 17 ,so the chinese did the same sort of thing I'm planning- they took the cockpit section of a MiG 15 uti and grafted it into a MiG 17 airframe, the reverse of what my build involves.The Trumpeter (Frog) kit of the 15 has a few issues , mainly the totally bogus canopy shape but the canopy on the JJ5 is spot on for a UTI so thats why I decided to cross them and get an accurate 'Midget' Heres some sprue shots , the white ones are some of the bits I'll be using from the JJ5 , plus the canopies of course , the different colours should also help show up whats been spliced in . So its razor saw and p cutter at the ready , roll on April 1st !!! cheers tony

View attachment 79452

View attachment 79453

View attachment 79454

View attachment 79455

View attachment 79456

View attachment 79457

DSCN0313 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0314 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0316 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0317 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0318 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0319 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P

Polux

I don't understand nothing about planes :smiling3: but think I catch the idea :smiling3:

Good luck with this project Tony! Will follow this thread with interest ;)

Cheers

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi, well despite being very busy doing other things , ive managed to make a start on this. As is usually the case with a job like this its never as simple as it first seems! I started by cutting off the canopy section from both sets of fuselages , using an Olfa P cutter and the trumpeter scriber. These came off nicely , just a bit of cleaning up required , but when I offered the 2 seat section up to the fuselage of the Mig 15 it didnt seem right . Out came the scale plans (1/48 , I have to scale everything up!!) and sure enough Trumpeter have made the cockpit section on the jj5 about 1 cm longer than the on on the Mig 15 UTI . Whether this is correct for a JJ 5 I dont know but it definitely needs sorting if I'm going to make a Mig 15 UTI !! After endless studying I found that it needs a bit out of the middle and the end and unfortunately so does the 2 cockpit canopies!. I worked out that I can cut a bit off the front of the forward canopy and a bit off the back of the rear one and it should look ok, Ill have to shorten the inner cockpit tub section too.Heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 81075

View attachment 81076

View attachment 81077

View attachment 81078

View attachment 81079

DSCN0355 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0356 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0357 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0358 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0359 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have every faith in you Tony!

..... and when you've finished this one, I've found someone that does a 1/72 Skipjack so you could do us a proper one of those - and not just a matchstick stuck in a cake!!!

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Shortening canopies.... Rather you than me.

Ian m

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more butchery done yesterday. Ive cut the 2 seat cockpit tub and taken out a 3mm section from the middle , this should mean the seats will be in the right position in regard to the shortened canopy frame.

DSCN0382 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

The kit tail fin is another trumpeter mish mash , having the correctly sized rudders but the angle of rake and shape is more like a MiG 17 . Solution? luckily Warbirds do a resin correction which I purchased and involves simply cutting off the kit tail along a panel line and gluing on the replacement .

DSCN0375 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0376 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0377 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Both kits include a full engine ( which I'll maybe detail up and have displayed seperately ) so I was hoping to just use the jet pipe section in the tail, but unfortunately the interior is covered in ridges and the end piece is way too thick. I found that a Marker pen top is just the right diameter , smooth inside and a better thickness and shape , so I glued this to rear compressor face with a few plasticard additions and fastened it to a card bulkhead in the tail.

DSCN0368 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0367 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0370 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0369 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0374 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0378 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0379 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ive also shortened the rear canopy at the back frame line by 2 mm and re glued it together, and had a trial fit with the 2 seat canopy frame on the chopped fuselage to see where I'm going to have to cut the opening further. Another issue that needs addressing is the gun panel under the nose. The UTI only had one 23mm cannon on the port side , the standard MiG 15 having 2 and a 37mm . Both the kit panels are incorrect meaning ive had to saw off the 37mm bulge and back with card and fill. The two 23mm bulges on the port side have been sanded off and will be replaced with a single different shaped bulge courtesy of the spares box (actually its a 1/48 mk 82 GP bomb , from an A 10 )

DSCN0381 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0383 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0384 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0385 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0386 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

View attachment 81196

View attachment 81197

View attachment 81198

View attachment 81199

View attachment 81200

View attachment 81201

View attachment 81202

View attachment 81203

View attachment 81204

View attachment 81205

View attachment 81206

View attachment 81207

View attachment 81208

View attachment 81209

View attachment 81210

View attachment 81211

DSCN0382 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0375 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0376 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0377 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0367 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0368 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0369 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0370 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0374 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0378 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0379 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0381 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0383 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0384 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0385 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0386 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

Wow Tony, I'm very impressed with the amount of work you're prepared to put into this! Good save on the pen top! Shows the spirit of Barnes Wallace et al hasn't gone from these shores ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Before I can stick any of the chopped bits together on the forward fuselage the assembly sequence means Ive goit to get everything in the forward fuselage first. That means the cockpit tub and seats and the intake with nose ring . The intakes need extending a bit to prevent the cockpit tub being seen through the nose , wine foil will be used for this , I'm already preparing the materials (Hic!).The seats have been next to be addressed, like most of the cockpit the details arent far off but are a bit simplified. The kit seat is about the right shape but needs a few modifications and additions and of course a harness (typically though, no one makes a PE harness for a mig 15 so its got to be scratched!).

I started by cutting the panel behind the back cushion , its too wide and too high, then chain drilled out the holes in the side pieces . Levers and a firing handle and cover were added to the sides and the headrest support and tiny bar at the top were added from brass wire ,wine foil and sprue. The major fault with the seat is the flat seat bottom with cushion detail- the actual seat has a dished bare metal pan similar to WW2 seats , the pilot probably sat on his parachute as this was a very early ejector seat. Anyhoo , how to solve this? I thought the best way would be to mould a pair of new seat pans using plastic card and a former so using a wooden clothes peg cut and shaped one to size and mounted it on a stick. The 20 thou plastic card was heated with a candle then the former pushed into it when soft enough. I cut out the mouldings and after chain drilling out the bottom of the seat they fitted perfectly , what a fluke!! all thats left now is to scratchbuild some harnesses , thankfully theyre not too complicated , and add a few more wires and bits . Well thats the first one nearly done ,all Ive got to do now is repeat the whole process - DOH!!

View attachment 81242

View attachment 81243

View attachment 81244

View attachment 81245

View attachment 81246

View attachment 81247

View attachment 81248

View attachment 81249

View attachment 81250

View attachment 81251

DSCN0388 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0389 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0387 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0391 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0392 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0394 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0395 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0396 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0398 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0399 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Great work Tony liking the progress so far mate!

Cheers,Ben

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick update . the first seat is done. The seat harness took me ages fiddling about with tiny bits of aluminium (cut up beer can) for the buckles and wine foil for the straps and I also added a fuse wire release cable on the right hand lap belt. Comparing it to the pictures in the +4 book I'm happy with how it looks , all Ive got to do now is repeat everything for the second seat. The cockpits need extra details adding too so that will be getting done alongside the second seat.

View attachment 81846

View attachment 81847

View attachment 81848

View attachment 81849

View attachment 81850

View attachment 81851

DSCN0406 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0407 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0408 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0409 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0410 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0412 [Desktop Resolution].JPG