Yaks cross kitted MiG 15 UTI 'Midget' in 1/32 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks for looking in guys, heres the latest bit of progress. Now that ive got the wings fitted I can safely fit the corrected resin tail . If I had tried to fit this before there was the danger of it not being at 90 degrees to the wings. The old tail was cut off and the resulting hole filled with milliput and filler so there was something a bit more substantial to glue the resin tail to . Just to give it a bit more strength I also fitted some brass tubing to fit in pre drilled holes.Ive included a pic with the cut off kit tail placed over the fitted resin correction , the difference in angle and shape is plain to see . At last its starting to look like a Mig 15!! cheers tony

View attachment 86355

View attachment 86356

View attachment 86357

View attachment 86358

DSCN0509 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0510 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0511 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0512 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

Wow Tony, I thought you put a lot of work into your Backfire kitbash, but this is amazing!

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
well Tony you are going to town all right the plane so far is fantastic keep up the good work , the mig is 1 of my all time favourites

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are doing a great job Tony. A most interesting build to follow.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi al , despite not getting in the shed much lately ive managed to get a bit more done on the pit. The area behind the rear seat has had the canopy sliding rails added and the lightening holes drilled .Ive added a piece of plastic card to form the rear bulkhead behind the seat and this will be filled with milliput . At the front Ive been detailing the coaming over the instrument panel with fuse wire to represent the canopy demisting rails that run around the inside bottom edge of the canopy. The rear cockpit has also has this . On top of the coaming I added the air vent pipe and used pleated wine foil to simulate the folded up blind flying cover . The gunsight has had the over thick reflector lenses cut off to be replaced with clear acetate and a fuse wire cable added. Although you cant see it much in the pics Ive made some rear canopy sliding rails from plastic strip ,wine foil side rail pieces and fixed the clear acetate rear cockpit wind deflector. This has a pair of explosive pistons to jettison the canopy in the event of an ejection and i made these from plastic rod ,fuse wire and strips of Tamiya tape . The picture from the reference book shows what I'm trying to recreate , its a bit of a long winded process but the cockpit is such a noticeable area on the model I wanted to get it as detailed as possible. Heres the pics thanks for sticking with this slow burner , cheers tony

View attachment 87537

View attachment 87538

View attachment 87539

View attachment 87540

View attachment 87541

View attachment 87542

View attachment 87543

View attachment 87544

View attachment 87545

View attachment 87546

View attachment 87547

View attachment 87548

View attachment 87549

View attachment 87550

DSCN0520 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0522 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0523 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0525 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0531 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0532 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0533 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0534 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0528 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0519 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0526 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0527 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0529 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0530 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work so far Tony, but you forgot to drill the holes in the top of the demister rails! I'm sure you used to include that kind of detail in your 1/144 builds :D

Gern

C

Caledonia

Well done Tony, squeezing the last drop of detail as usual I see. Cheers mate Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Excellent work so far Tony, but you forgot to drill the holes in the top of the demister rails! I'm sure you used to include that kind of detail in your 1/144 builds :D Gern
I was actually considering how to make the holes Dave! but then common sense got the better of me , I might just represent them with black dots using a pen! Cheers Tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for the positive comments and for sticking with one of the slowest builds ive ever done!!! cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, this is a proper kit carvery!

Sorry Tony, I've only just caught up with this thread and I have to say I'm impressed. Great surgical skills, super office detail and masterful skills with the putty, plastic, fuse wire, acetate... Etc, etc!

Quality stuff

Paul

Z

Ziper_it

Just came across this one.

Impressive details here Tony and excellent build as usual.

I will follow with interest.

Francesco

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Little bit more progress in the cockpit. Ive sanded and given the first coat of grey to the area behind the rear seat (thats why it looks a bit streaky in the pics) , ive also added the top of the guide rails for the ejector seat. The coaming area over the front instrument panel has also been painted , as has the folded blind flying canvas and gunsight , the blind flying hood receiving a wash to highlight the details .The gunsight has had the two lenses stuck on and the front one tinted with Tamiya x19 Smoke and (just for you Dave! ) ive depicted the holes in the windscreen demister bars using a black fineliner pen. The two canopy jettison rams have been painted and are ready for sticking on either side of the wind deflector screen. Ive also been making good the edges of the canopies that were cut shorter by adding a frame using aluminium foil tape , adding rivets by making indents using the end of a needle file. The prominent plate round the bottom of the front screen has been made from plastic card and fitted , all that needs doing in this area now is to fit the screen and make good the join . Once all this work in the cockpit is done I can get things moving a bit faster,, heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 88054

View attachment 88055

View attachment 88056

View attachment 88057

View attachment 88058

View attachment 88059

View attachment 88060

View attachment 88061

View attachment 88062

View attachment 88063

DSCN0598 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0592 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0593 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0594 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0595 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0596 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0597 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0591 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0599 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0600 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You gotta admit it looks better though Tony! :smiling3: Cracking work so far.

Gern