Yaks cross kitted MiG 15 UTI 'Midget' in 1/32 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Windscreen is on , canopy jettison rams fitted , the cockpit is for the time being done , ready for masking up. Ive been doing a bit on the airframe too - fitting the slipper tanks , and the gun tray complete with about 40 grams of roofing lead (this is in addition to the four 1/4" lead shots in the intake splitter!!) I had a test with the main undercarriage legs fitted into the slots and it sits nicely front heavy. Ive also fitted the scratchbuilt single cannon and the ailerons but these arent in the pics.The other areas that are now coming into play are the undercarriage , the kit wheels being a bit of a strange one. They have seperate rubber tyres , not ideal I know but the absence of any aftermarket wheels means i'm going to have to put up with them. The hub detail on the inside face of the wheel is not exactly right but near enough , its the outer side thats the problem, its just hollow with no detail at all!! Luckily I had some old 1/48 P47 wheels from the academy kit in the spares box so after cutting off the tyre and drilling the middle these should represent the outer hub perfectly. heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 88489

View attachment 88490

View attachment 88491

View attachment 88492

View attachment 88493

View attachment 88494

View attachment 88495

View attachment 88496

View attachment 88497

View attachment 88498

DSCN0612 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0614 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0615 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0616 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0617 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0618 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0619 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0620 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0621 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0622 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great progress Tony. Used a lot of weight, no chance of this being a tail sitter.

D

dubster72

Such an impressive build Tony! I have enough trouble with what's in the box ;)

Hats off to you & your attention to details.

Z

Ziper_it

Looks great Tony.

Good work on the wheels (but the one I like the most is the pit)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today. After what seems like years ,Ive finally got to the stage of priming this beast. The cockpit apertures have been masked up and its got a gobstopper and an enema out of make up sponge for the overspray! In typical fashion , after I had primed it I realised I hadnt added the armoured plate in front of the cannon. The kit naturally doesnt depict this as its not supposed to be a UTI so I had to cut a thin piece of plastic card and attach this then add the prominent rivets. Another area that I couldnt just leave is the nose wheel bay. The kit offering is just flat and too shallow , I know no one is ever going to see up into there but it would just annoy me if I didnt correct it. The actual wheel bay has a concave section to accomomdate the nose wheel ,so I had to cut out the flat pieces and make a new bay roof. I did this by cutting a hole in some MDF and heating a piece of plastic card and using an old wheel from the spares box forming the shape. It now looks like it should ,even though no ones ever going to see it again. EDIT . for some reason the site wont let me upload any pics , as soon as I can I'll put them on , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is deffo not was in the box. Excellent work so far Tony.

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Tony nice fix on the wheel well

Also I bet none of the churches have any lead left in Sheffield

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Excellent detail work Tony, I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finally the first paint is on! Ive used Vallejo model air aluminium for the finish and will be adding slightly different shades of metal for different areas ( airbrakes , gun muzzle shield , access panels etc.) but it wont be too much like a patchwork quilt , in the main the soviet natural metal aircraft were quite uniform in finish , the result of having a laquer on top of the bare metal . Theres still quite a bit to do yet like the undercarriage and the canopies complete with latches ,sliding mechanisms etc but hopefully it shouldnt be too long before I can call it done, cheers tony

View attachment 88871

View attachment 88872

DSCN0642 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0643 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

T

treyzx10r

Tony ,I'm sitting here in awe looking at what you've got going on here ,at the same time I'm looking at the one I threw together a while back and laughing my a** off at it now! But it was a great little stress reliever for me so it did serve a purpose and might yet again as a skeet target;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont forget Trey , the JJ5 you did is a totally different aircraft so yours was a great build regardless, it would be a shame to see it get shot up,( athough secretly we all love to see our models end in a blaze of glory!) cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator: