Yaks float plane build. The Aichi M6 A Seiran

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres my TB victim (?!) A very interesting aircraft from the late ,some might say desperate, stages of the war in the pacific. Its the Aichi M6a Seiran , a floatplane designed to be launched from a huge submarine. The Idea was for the Sub to get as close as possible to the US mainland then launch the aircraft to strategically bomb high value targets . The 390 ft long submarine , the I 400 , had a 100 foot long , 11 foot diameter watertight tube on the deck which contained 3 Seirans , folded up with the floats being separate also. On surfacing the aircraft would be assembled and unfolded then launched from the catapult , the floats only being used for training ,on the actual mission it would go without them- being a one way ticket!. Fortunately for the US they never saw active service , only 1 entire example surviving of the 27 or so built. The kit is the Tamiya 1/48 and looks to be nicely detailed as per usual Tamiya standards , with nice engraved lines , detailed cockpit and even a ballast weight provided for the front of the floats . Heres the box and some rather poor in bag sprue shots! Tony

View attachment 75764

View attachment 75765

DSCN0119 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0120 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. I'll look forward to that.

Ian M

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
the 2014 builds seem to throwing up some very unusual models that we may have not seen otherwise which I find very interesting keep it comming

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Tony. With around only 27 built, I'm surprised an kit manufacturer decided to make them, oh hang about, Tamiya, now it makes sense.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its been a long time coming but heres an update on the Seiran. Ive got the cockpit done at last , it went together very easily but the seat belts proved to be the sticking point. Firstly the kit supplies only a very vague looking decal , not an option for me I'm afraid. So off to the spares box where I find a Reheat P.E. fret of assorted Japanese seat belts , success!? NO , the instruction sheet is terrible and doesnt give any clues as to how the different parts should go together ,plus theres several different styles of harness on the fret ,each with several different types of strap. Off to the Internet then , but again no joy, there are virtually no pics of Seiran cockpits or seats and loads of conflicting images of various Japanese seat belt layouts. I ended up going for the strange lopsided style with only one shoulder strap and 3 on the seat pan seen on some IJN aircraft, if its wrong then shoot me.The build should speed up a bit now ,(its going to have to , Ive only got 2 weeks till the deadline) the fuselage and wings are together and the floats and beaching trolley have also been assembled, cheers tony

View attachment 79114

View attachment 79115

View attachment 79116

View attachment 79117

View attachment 79118

View attachment 79119

View attachment 79120

DSCN0285 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0286 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0287 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0288 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0290 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0291 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0293 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A very nice start on the office. Good photos as well ;)

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice start Tony will be watching this one ,like the jap planes, and maybe find out some info on the paints you use,

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
real nice start Tony will be watching this one ,like the jap planes, and maybe find out some info on the paints you use,
Thanks Monica , I'll make a point of listing the numbers of the Tamiya paints I use during the build .The cockpit for example was done with Tamiya xf 22 , cheers Tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Tony, i will make a note off them as i follow this one, thank you so much,

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well being a newish Tamiya tool this has taken no time at all to come together. First I got the fuselage all primed , also the floats and the beaching trolley . The propeller and beaching trolley have both had a coat of Tamiya XF 9 , the wooden planks on the trolley are yet to be painted .Ive pre shaded the panel lines on the fuse and floats although how successful I'll be at not obliterating them remains to be seen ! Next job its on with the paint , cheers tony

View attachment 79290

View attachment 79291

View attachment 79292

View attachment 79293

View attachment 79294

View attachment 79295

DSCN0295 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0296 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0297 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0300 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0301 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0302 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the pre-shade looks good. Just remember to stop the base coat before you think it has had enough. Its always easier to give it more later than taking it off again.

Ian M