Yaks float plane build. The Aichi M6 A Seiran

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking nice Tony, pre-shade looks good as well, thanks for the color you remembed :rolleyes: think i used a dark rust which is a red/brown ,

looking forward to next update

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive got the paint on and for once have managed to not totally cover up the pre shading . It doesnt really show up on the pics of the top surfaces but its there, you'll have to trust me! The undersides were done with Tamiya XF 12 and the upper surfaces with XF 11 , I think I'll be adding a wash to the control surface hinge lines and a bit of chipping ,but not too much -these aircraft never saw active service so didnt get too badly weathered. The beaching trolley has had all the wooden parts painted black , I intend to overcoat these with light brown then wipe the wet paint to try and get a grain effect . Theres not a lot left to do now , just the clear coat ,decals , then the canopy frames to paint. I decided to paint the frames by hand as they were represented by recessed lines either side of the frame sections so might have been a bit tricky to mask. Heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 79446

View attachment 79447

View attachment 79448

View attachment 79449

View attachment 79450

View attachment 79451

DSCN0309 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0310 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0311 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0312 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0307 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0308 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

I hope the upper surfaces are ok Tony coz I thought my eyes were going funny as they look black!

You're making good progress on this one, can't wait to see some more.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It does look very dark in the pics Patrick, its actually dark green (IJN Green), I might add a bit of lighter green in the centre of the panels I'm not sure yet , it could just be my photography skills ( lack of!) cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good but as you say a bit of post shading to lighten the panel's centres might lift it a bit.

A lot of paint on it for a Jap. lol

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Makes a nice change to see a Japanese aeroplane in IJN green with full paint work still attached. Nice work Tony, coming along nicely.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If the pre-shading above is as good as the underside, I bet it looks great. Photography, yes a bit of a dark art for me. The only way I can get any decent pictures is by taking them outside.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well I was a bit non plussed with the top colour pre shading so Ive filled in the centre of the panels with a slightly lightened version of the IJN green. It now looks better ,if a little too light, but the coat of Klear should darken it a little and even it out a bit. The wooden areas of the beaching trolley base have been painted with a pale brown , having previously been painted black. As soon as I brushed on the brown I took a nylon pan scourer and scraped it along the wet paint to expose the darker undercoat and give the lined effect of wood grain. It just needs the uprights adding next. So whats next? Klear coat then decals ,then ive got to decide how much weathering/chipping to apply. Although these aircraft were not operationally used ive found some pics of one in a fairly battered state so its anybodys guess really !cheers tony

View attachment 79572

View attachment 79573

View attachment 79574

DSCN0321 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0322 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0323 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well that brought it to life a lot more.

That trolley looks the biz.

Ian M

D

dubster72

I second Ian's comment, the wood effect is spot on Tony!

I like the contrast between the greens, it makes the pre-shading pop out.

Cheers

Patrick

C

Caledonia

Excellent work as always Tony, you certainly pick some unusual subjects, I like the float planes. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well Ive been a bit busy lately around the house but Ive finally got this one done . Its been a fairly typical Tamiya build - no problems at all . I kept the chipping to a minimum as these aircraft were only ever used for training and didnt see operational service before the end of the war. Ive tried to show the red primer that some japanese seaplanes (Rufe for example) had applied to combat the marine conditions as well as a bit of natural aluminium showing through . Heres a few pics I'll try and get some better ones on a completed thread , cheers tony

View attachment 80104

View attachment 80105

View attachment 80107

View attachment 80108

View attachment 80109

View attachment 80110

DSCN0337 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0339 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0344 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0346 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0330 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice! I'll look forward to the rest of the photos.

Ian M