Latest progress/drama . The canopy is on and Ive made the APU exhaust by scribing the vents and adding a surround from wine foil .Ive added extra pieces to the nose chines from plastic card as the production machines have these larger ones . thought it was going well until I dropped the model on the floor ,snapping off one of the wingtip launch rails which disappeared into another dimension. Bugger! Oh well i thought this was a crossroads moment , do I scratchbuild another rail or cut them both off and scratch two 'Knirti' wingtip ECM pods ?
As this is supposed to represent the latest in service su34 ,I went with the latter as most of the up to date pics show these fitted. I sourced a couple of suitable size donor parts from the spares box and the scratching is due to commence. heres some pics , hopefully I'll have some more of the ECM pods later
The ECM pods have been done , bits of styrene strip being added to the cut down missile body from the spares box. The nav lights have also been added , these being nail art jewels , i know theyre pink and blue but after some tamiya clear red and green has been put on theyll be fine. The pods have been stuck on the wingtips which have had the launch rails cut off and a bridging piece and wing fence added both sides.
The rest of the airframe looks a bit more like a flanker now as the elevators and tailplanes have been added (the tailplanes were stuck on at the edge of the body , not inboard slightly as the kit would have you do) . The next thing is the centre pylons and laser designator under the fuselage then its nearly ready for primer , cheers tony
Little bit more done today . After looking at lots of photographs of this aircraft I decided I wasnt happy with a couple of things.- 1.the 'Knirti' pods on the wing tips just didnt look right ,they seemed too long , after re examining photos I cut 1/4 inch out of the length of them,they look much better now. 2 . the APU exhaust vent , i wasnt happy about my wonky scribing anyway but after finding a great close up shot i had change it. I used Bias tape (from my wifes sewing box !)to make the grille and this along with the vertical bars should give the effect Im after. This will be added after final painting .
Another thing to be added after all the paintwork is done is the lens for the laser designator , this coming from holographic confetti. Ive put these two alterations in place for the photos they will be removed to a safe place during painting. cheers tony
Heres the latest progress on the hellduck. After the primer coat it was time to sort the weapons pylons and some other bits. The pylons in the kit arent really representative of the production machines so it was into the spares box i went. Some old ones were cut down and reshaped for the outer two and the inner one was a kit item shortened and reshaped . The lower pylons on the outer two were added from kit items again reshaped and chopped about. I had to fill in the holes for the pylons under the intakes as they were too far forward and again these were altered kit items .
The pitot was made using brass tube and wire for a sturdier result than the kit plastic one ( very sturdy in fact , ive stabbed myself several times and ive come off worse !) I also had a play with the exhausts , trying to get the characteristic brown /blue striping that these engines usually have (see here http/www.bhmpics.com/walls/black_knight_su_34-other.jpg) Next stage is to start painting and Ive got to custom mix the lurid greeny blue for the undersides first! cheers tony