Yaks Soviet GB , the Su 34 'Fullback'

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After a short vote on the chat thread this is the one that came out on top , the Italeri Su 34 'Fullback' Its a fantastic aircraft and one I wanted to do for a while especially after seeing Ians (Papa 695) wonderful build of this same kit .

The kit itself is lovely having reasonable levels of detail without being overly complicated or fiddly and as Ian showed builds very nicely , no filler needed! I got the kit secondhand at a show a few years back and included in the box is the Neomega resin cockpit replacement. This looks very nicely detailed but will take some careful painting to get the best out of it. The only trouble is the canopy doesnt open on this aircraft (access is via a ladder up into the nosewheel well) so any extra detail may be unseen anyway.

I intend doing the kit in the latest Russian scheme for this aircraft , a dark grey over a brightish blue with the new design of red star insignia. Ive sourced some decals for these and also the 'BBC POCCNN' on the tail heres some sprue shots and a pic of the box top and a link to a pic of an actual aircraft in this scheme cheers tony http://www.aviationnews.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Su-34.jpg

View attachment 113497

View attachment 113498

View attachment 113499

DSCN1128 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1129 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1130 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

I've never seen one of these Tony - I must have missed Ian's build.

Why doesn't the canopy open?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well ive started the build with a chop job! The kit as it stands represents the prototype seen at the paris air show in 1995 and requires a bit of fettling to look like a production machine. After a bit of researching and studying a build done by Ken Duffey (Flankerman) on his excellent website (Flankers-site) the additions/surgery are as follows.1. Fins - the kit fins are the same as the 2 seat su27 ub but production machines have the smaller single seat ones so these need to be either replaced or altered .2. Tail boom- this needs shortening by about 6mm and the APU outlet adding.3. Laser designator and central stores pylon to be added between the engine pods. There are a number of other small jobs but these are relatively minor so Ill highlight those on the way.

The first thing Ive done is to chop the fins into several pieces to allow the shorter one to be made. The actual fins were made larger by adding a section to the fin and rudder making them taller but longer as the front angle of the fin carried further forward. After chopping the up and cobbling them back together they look about right , the height and length being where they should be . Ive also primed and base coated the Neomega cockpit and seats ready for highlighting and detail painting. more progress as it happens , cheers tony

View attachment 114613

View attachment 114614

View attachment 114615

View attachment 114616

View attachment 114617

View attachment 114618

View attachment 114619

View attachment 114620

View attachment 114621

View attachment 114622

DSCN1138 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1139 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1140 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1141 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1142 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1143 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1144 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1145 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1146 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1147 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Pimp my Suhkhoi :smiling3: Good researching Tony, the changes will definitely make a difference.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Tony, can you never build a kit straight from the box? :P
I think its some deep rooted psychological thing Patrick , i need help!! Maybe a prescription of something Tamiya or Eduard would alleviate the symptoms!! :D :D:D

D

dubster72

\ said:
I think its some deep rooted psychological thing Patrick , i need help!! Maybe a prescription of something Tamiya or Eduard would alleviate the symptoms!! :D :D:D
Well you're doing a great job as usual mate! I'm a long way from cutting & sawing with such gay abandon ;)

You should do a Hobbyboss plane next - they're shake n bake :smiling3:

First Name
Neil
Excellent choice. As you can't open the cockpit, perhaps you could display it in-flight?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
latest progress - The cockpit has been painted ready for installing ,not easy with all the detail being moulded into the resin ,picking things out with the brush is a bugger! Ive altered the Instrument panel as the resin one represented the prototype with a basic gauge type panel . This was sanded off and five MFD screens made from good old holographic confetti cut to size . A few dials and switches were also added and an attempt at painting the dozens of buttons that surround the screens , not perfect but ok for a closed canopy at this scale.

Ive added a rough pair of compressor faces at the back of the intakes and hollowed out the tail fin scoops , next up is glue the top and bottom fuselage halves together and it might start moving a bit quicker , cheers tony

View attachment 115966

View attachment 115967

View attachment 115968

View attachment 115969

View attachment 115970

View attachment 115971

DSCN1159 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1160 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1161 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1163 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1164 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1166 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good progress Tony. I like the compressors you've added, crude but will look good through the intakes in the end.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Nice Tony but it looks a little odd like that no backend
Yes it reminded me of a finless buccaneer!