Yamaha XJR400, Aoshima, 1/12

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
first kit finished since xmas!

had so much going on since then ive not much felt like sitting at a bench fettling plastic, but when i have been able ive been working on this

had some issues.....the rear of the frame was twisted, under the seat/body work.....had to resort to some minor surgery to square it up

213.jpg

115.jpg

314.jpg

413.jpg

512.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Paul,
nice to see a 'standard' bike - usually racing bikes or custom bikes are favourites, but one which you might actually see on the road is different! I must admit I have a couple of bikes in the stash, and they are custom!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Neat job Paul , bike models are one thing I’ve never done , I imagine it’s similar to doing civil aircraft , everything has to be clean and neat . Love the colour too , cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
I'm another who has never made a motorbike model. This is a great example of the genre, really well done. Much smaller than I imagined so getting such a good result does you credit.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good job Paul. Looks real.....
For those that haven’t tried one, give it a go, their fun. Lots of painting as you go though....bit like building a real one.....

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
nice to see a 'standard' bike - usually racing bikes or custom bikes are favourites, but one which you might actually see on the road is different!

i quite agree

Tamiya seem to be fixated on faired bikes or race bikes but Aoshima do lots of naked road bikes.......just mostly 400cc Japanese Domestic Market stuff like this but there is bigger stuff in the range if you go hunting for them

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neat job Paul , bike models are one thing I’ve never done , I imagine it’s similar to doing civil aircraft , everything has to be clean and neat . Love the colour too , cheers tony

yes and no cos theres still plenty of places that need a black wash to bring out the details
theres plenty of scope for doing things different too..............this is supposed to have a chrome exhaust, mirrors, instruments but the chroming on the sprue was really bad so i went the simple route of dechrome and matt black which i think looks a lot better anyway

have a go at a bike.........tamiya stuff like the honda cb750 (gem of a kit and amazingly cheap) suzuki katana or yamaha virago are great starters......very satisfying