Yet another Sherman: early M4A1 (75)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
After painting the sandbags with Tamiya khaki, I added a wash over both the sandbags and the olive drab parts of the tank to shade them. I found a bottle of Games Workshop Devlan Mud among my paints, which I had forgotten I had, and decided to try it for this. Though the paint stinks like stagnant water (I thought mine had gone off, but a little online research turned up that this is a well-known trait of this particular paint), it works very well for this purpose. After that was dry, I followed it up with some drybrushing using two shades of Revell acrylic paint, yellow olive and light olive, for highlights on the tank itself. I also drybrushed the sandbags with Revell dark earth and a sand colour.

AE63BC35-609A-4253-BAFF-12BB084166BD.jpeg

To enhance the muddy underside of the hull and suspension, I mixed some Tamiya flat earth (that I had also used for spraying the tank) with acrylic structure gel that has a coarse, sand-like texture and dabbed and smeared it onto the hull and suspension with a largish brush:

D46C2B0B-905C-40FF-887F-E023B5AA51D1.jpeg

The next step is to apply the markings and winter camouflage as well as painting detail bits like the tow cable and tools, followed by more mud and dirt :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since I’m finishing two Shermans at once, here is the M4A1 with some, but not all, detail painting finished, and all its markings:

30161439-FA6D-422A-98F2-2D9C7D9A9A87.jpeg

I made the registration number from Archer dry transfers, but because it’s not visible in the photo of the real tank, it’s entirely made-up. However, it a realistic number for a relatively early M4A1 from PSC. The bumper code 756Δ A-38 is tank 38 of A Company, 756 Tank Battalion, again fictitious as no bumper codes can be read in the photo. However, I spent a good while doing research this afternoon: the photo of the real tank was taken in Birschwihr, Alsace, on 1 February 1945. That town was captured by 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division of the US Army, and the only tank battalion attached to that division at the time was the 756th.

What’s more, this battalion had served in Italy until August 1944, when it had been involved in the Dragoon landings in southern France. This bit is important (if you want to be historically plausible) because units in Italy had older types of Sherman, meaning it is rather more likely that this tank came from there than that it had landed in Normandy.

(Incidentally, you will read in many places that A and B Companies of this battalion “were converted to DD tanks” — that is, the swimming Shermans — for these landings. It turns out that both companies had exactly four DD tanks at the time … not even enough for a full platoon of five!)

Here is the engine deck with the tools:

C4BA52B7-8B10-4D33-B1DB-84F291AF7325.jpeg

These are rather more chipped than those on the M4A3E2 to show them having seen a lot more use. Again, they’re not quite finished yet,

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work and great research as always Jakko.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

As the tank I’m replicating has crude winter camouflage, I went and applied that too:

B1FC0EBB-E6EB-4C8D-BA07-01B05AD75E65.jpeg40AAFEFC-917C-4C09-8451-24645531AFBF.jpeg

On the left side I tried to replicate the photo, on the right it’s completely made up but in the same style. It’s simply white paint applied with an old, worn-out, flat brush of maybe 3 mm wide, aiming to paint in much the same way the real thing was probably done: just smear it on. I think the paint doesn’t cover well enough, though, so I may have to go over it again. I’ll probably do the weathering first, though, as that’s likely to tone down the white as well, so it may need retouching anyway.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks a suitably random, in the field painted snow camouflage Jakko, the mud on the running gear looks good too.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It takes a bit of courage to replicate some of those whacky camo schemes, but they are authentic.
Now "muck it up" really good, don't be afraid to lay it on (weathering wise) it was a dirty business
they were involved in, don't spare the mustard!

Jim.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks a suitably random, in the field painted snow camouflage
Thanks, seems like I achieved my goal :smiling3:

the mud on the running gear looks good too.
To be honest, that needs a lot more work, but the basic are there.

The paint work looks good.
Thanks. I especially like the look of the sandbags, even though those were about the easiest of the whole thing to get to look like that.

It takes a bit of courage to replicate some of those whacky camo schemes, but they are authentic.
I’m not at all afraid to paint things like this, but I understand a lot of modellers would be wary of doing a camouflage scheme in this way. They all seem to want highly artistically worn-away whitewash on (German) tanks …

Now "muck it up" really good, don't be afraid to lay it on (weathering wise) it was a dirty business
they were involved in, don't spare the mustard!
I wasn’t planning to :smiling3: This is why I sprayed the whole underside an earth colour instead of olive drab, to have a good basis for making it look like the tank has been driving through mud for days.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I’m mostly there with the dirt :smiling3:

591AD074-3F0C-4EEA-A367-95B4FE70B433.jpeg

I first put a wash of the same flat earth I sprayed the suspension with, over the rest of the tank. This I followed by by a wash of Tamiya NATO Brown (a red-brown colour, but lighter than their red-brown) over the already dirt-coloured bits. This created areas that look like wet mud, as that’s darker than dried mud. After that, I used a Tamiya weathering stick (light earth colour) to add some random blobs all over the suspension and lower hull, and drybrushed most of this area with a couple of light dirt/pale tan colours to add highlights.

On the engine deck, I put in fuel spills with Tamiya smoke, and also brushed Humbrol polished steel onto the metal parts of the tools:

0BC18896-93DA-4DC7-9531-D3F7F38812EE.jpeg

The fuel spills are too shiny right now, so I think I’ll add some matt varnish over them later.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Stowage on the rear deck:

538A354E-3296-4840-98B9-6EAC1FB6AD6B.jpeg

I couldn’t make out what was there in the photo of the real thing, so I just took some stuff from my spares boxes that looked good. The tied-up tarp-things (it’s a single piece of two tarps) are from Verlinden, I think, the two boxes from an Academy set (Tank Supplies Set 2) and the jerrycan is from the M4A3E2 kit.

Rather than paint the whole lot in drab colours, I decided to paint the larger of the two tarps as if the tank crew cut a piece from the tarp of some commercial lorry or similar. The letters are Letraset dry transfers I’ve had for probably 30 years, and though it doesn’t spell out anything specific, the idea is that they look like they could be the end of a name or business description or something. Of course, they didn’t stick down all that well so I had to fill in some gaps with white paint and stuck them down properly with some matt varnish.

The M1A1 submachine gun on the commander’s hatch is from Dragon. I chose one with the 30-round magazine, because by 1945 these would have been common, instead of the 20-round magazines that were used before.

I’m still painting up a figure to go into the hatch.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Stowage looks good Jakko. Love the tarpaulin idea, and it adds a bit of colour as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, and yeah, the idea was to add some colour but nothing too obvious. I could of course have gone for an air recognition panel instead …