Yet More Advice

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, have now put down some Zero paint on my Bentley 4 1/2 blower, all looking good. My question is this, it's on the chassis and rear fuel tank should I put on a varnish if so what is recommended, the body panels I'm sure will need a coat of varnish, I want it to look used not straight out of the paint shop.
I know you guys might think why not practice, my problem is if things go wrong big time it takes me and my head ages to over come hence the questions, hope you all understand.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Zero paints clearcoat varnish is fantastic in my opinion....however, for which one to use it depends what finish your after. If you’re putting on pin washes and dust etc. I would use semi gloss on the chassis and tank, and gloss on the body panels. The gloss can be given a nice scale appearance by letting it dry for a week or two, then gently polishing with polishing compound.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Will give the Zero clearcoat a go, just as a thought I have some Vallejo varnish, is this a no no on Zero paints, my instinct says no, what are everyone's thoughts on this.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As long as the base coat is dry there should be no issues using Vallejo over Zero, it’s like using Vallejo over Tamiya spray primer and I do that all the time. However, the Zero paint is far superior to any acrylic varnish I’ve tried personally....wouldn’t go for Zero over Vallejo though,

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
So is Vallejo satin varnish better than zero satin/semi clearcoat ? Just before I order any.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Mark, my last sentence may have confused you....I meant that I wouldn’t spray Zero varnish over Vallejo paint as the solvent may lift the bottom layer.....
I would say that Zero semi Matt would be superior to Vallejo acrylic yes, but that is just my opinion, others may have different ideas....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wouldn’t spray Zero varnish over Vallejo paint as the solvent may lift the bottom layer.....
I was thinking the same Tim, so I just tried some Zero thinners (on a tissue) on some Vallejo paint, which dissolved in seconds.
Pete

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks guys, I'll get some Zero, I've always liked the idea of keeping things the same as in Vallejo with primer and tamiya with tamiya primer, will now zero to that list. It seems the more I get into modelling i find there's so much more to know and unfortunately buy, oh well I cant take it with me, the wife will have it. LOL :smiling3:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ok, next question, what's the difference between Zero semi gloss 2 pack clearcoat and Zero semi gloss clearcoat lacquer ?

D

Deleted member 7181

I've never used Zero, but the lacquer version will be a straightforward single part product (that may or may not need additional thinner) that air dries, probably like most paints you've ever used.

2 pack (2K, 2 part, 2 Komponent) is quite a different animal and uses two separate components that when mixed together in a precise ratio (usually with additional thinner) will dry or cure by a chemical reaction, a bit like how epoxy glue or putty does.

2 pack is generally a lot more toxic but leaves a much more durable finish (it's used on car paintwork to last decades in all weathers), but whether that's really necessary for a model is debatable.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Can I check I've got this correct before I do it, on the Bentley fuel tank as I've said it comes out Matt (zero paints) and I intend to use a semi gloss lacquer, now do I do this first then put decals on and then mist over the decals or do I put them on first and then just cover with the lacquer afterwards. While I'm on what lacquers are worth having I like semi gloss but I know I'll need a gloss one, any recommends it's going over zero paints, also maybe a clear but do I need a matt, I might be going over old stuff but I want to check twice do once.
Thanks for everybody's help now and in the future.