You guys will know.

First Name
Andy
Having never made any WW2 British trucks before can someone point me to the correct colour for cab interiors please, I presume olive drab as the only picture I have found is just that and I wondered if that was it.

Andy.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The cab colour on the outside was the same as the inside. However the outside was often repainted to keep up with ever changing requirements ie camouflage, area of deployment and the interior stayed the same. So you are really looking at SCC2 earth or SCC15 olive drab. There will always be exceptions to the rule like ambulances, RAF vehicles etc.

First Name
Andy
The cab colour on the outside was the same as the inside. However the outside was often repainted to keep up with ever changing requirements ie camouflage, area of deployment and the interior stayed the same. So you are really looking at SCC2 earth or SCC15 olive drab. There will always be exceptions to the rule like ambulances, RAF vehicles etc.
Thanks for the reply Steve, the model I am going to do is an WW2 RAF Bedford 15cwt water bowser and the colour call out is for olive drab, whether this is right or just something the kit maker thought up I don't know.

Andy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
95% of the time the inside of the cabin was, as Steve said, factory finish. So most likely green of some shade or the other. As far as the different camouflage colours outside the only "inside bits" to get the same colour was things like roof openings where the "lid" flipped over. I read some place that some transport units could paint the inside of the roof of the cabin white as many said it was like sitting in a coal hole.
To be 100% sure of the inside colour you would need to know where and when it was built.
As for your tanker, Olive drab.... I think that is just a generalisation.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Which time period is it to portray? If you choose that, establishing the colour the interior had will probably be fairly simple :smiling3: Like Steve said, the cab interior tended to remain in the colour the vehicle left the factory in when the outside got repainted (but there were exceptions), and British military colours changed a couple of times during the war.

Also note that RAF vehicles were not necessarily finished the same as Army vehicles, though it is likely many (most?) were.