Young Miniature U.S. Navy Seal Vietnam

R

RichardMo

Hello Gents.
It's that time again when I decide what to paint next. this bust stands out because of my try at invasion blackout face on my last WWII Airborne bust. A lot of you said you liked it and I sadly just could not look at it any longer and re-painted it. I went back to the drawing board to find a solution and I think I found why I did not like it. It seemed to me it was to dark even with highlights . So I am trying once again, this time I will very slowly build up each color trying to keep a few skin tones slightly showing . Then adding highlights ,finally washing with base green. I only have a few pictures of the face so far but I am very happy with it so far. turned out better than I ever imagined. Hope you can see the difference between the two bust . Thanks for looking .
Rick.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RichardMo

Hello all ,
Not much done today just the boonie hat. I am trying to portray a wide range of camouflage and Olive drabs so the hat will just be O.D.
.I tried my hand at creating weaving in the cloth by many many little lines then a wash to tone them down. the brim is not yet completely done but close.
Rick.

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh yes! Brilliant painting Rick. The face works perfectly.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick I liked the other one but this has taken it to another level.:thumb2:
John .

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Really nice Rick.I have this one in my stash.The Boonie hat is nicely done.Nice texture and shades,Ive tried camo on figures faces with mixed results.I was advised to try oil pastels or oils themselves as they are slightly greasy.Watching with interest.
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Very nice choice for the Boonie Hat the color is extremely realistic.. US NAVY Seals used a great variety of equipment and uniforms so you can really make different camo on the same figure.
Beo gam-TIger Stripes-ERDL (green and Brown dominant)-Jeans... I mean... there so much to do that in one squd you can mix ALL Vietnam era camo...

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Top notch Richard... really good job on the face and hat!!!
can I just suggest a small dot of white on the iris / pupil to make the eyes stand out a little??? Otherwise brilliant start!
Jason.

R

RichardMo

Peter thank you sir. I have taken on a new zest for this type of work . you took me out of my comfort zone and I thank you. sometimes that's all we need is a new look at your stuff.
John I'm glad you liked the other face camo , this one was a little nerve wrecking as I didn't want to repaint like i did on the last one . I have already bought another one to do it back that way.
Richard48 I have some oils and was thinking about using them but I was nervous to as I never was really any good with them.
BigGreg thank you sir, I like that picture you posted .that's the exact reason I wanted to paint this kit, all the different choices to paint.
my uncle was in the 4th infantry div in Vietnam in 1968 to 69 my mom has a picture of him in tiger stripes. always wanted to paint them so here it goes'.
Jason thank you for you nice words. when I paint the catch light in the eyes I actually use a sewing needle dulled down tip ( I dip the end in the white and just stick it on the it works amazing well and always makes them both the same size ). but that night I could night find that dang needle, so I will get another one and get them done.
Very nice of you gentlemen to view and comment I really enjoy all the nice people on this site.
Rick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Like John I rather liked the other face but I have to agree that what I'm seeing this time around I like better. The hat is superb - weave of the clothe is great.
Jim

R

RichardMo

this is the final of the boonie hat. I have 2 more grenade pins to place then paint but I'm going to fix it to the head and call it done.
Rick20190312_141602.jpg

R

RichardMo

thank all of you fine gents for the comments.I have to admit I wasn't sure of the hat until the very last.but it turned out nice
RICK

R

RichardMo

last night I got off work from my second job at 2am couldn't sleep so I tried my hand at the tiger stripe camo.this is a scrap bust I have in my junk box so I slapped some paint on it
I will crisp the stripes up on the real bust . I just wanted to see if I could before I put it on my good one
Rick
th (14).jpeg
20190313_175410.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice Rick. I've only attempted Tiger Strip once, and that was on a hat - drove me nuts.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tiger stripes are looking great Richard.One pattern ive never attempted.You are doing an excellent job.
Richard

R

RichardMo

thank you Jim,Peter and Richard48. I am excited but nervous to attempt it on my good one but will later tonight .
Rick

R

RichardMo

ok gents I started the tiger striped camo on the real bust last night just have one side done .but should have it all done by the weekend. here are the progress pictures.
Rick
20190315_171820.jpg20190315_171854.jpg