Young Miniatures 1/10 Soviet Tank Commander

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_9320.JPG

Another Young Miniatures bust, this time a Soviet tank commander sculpted by Hyroki Ishii. He's wearing the classic combo of a canvas tanker's helmet and leather coat.

This is how it comes:

100_9319.JPG

The head and helmet consists of four parts, though I'm sure a one-part casting would have been adequate. However, as with the coat collar, I suppose it does allow some areas to stand up more than they would otherwise.

I've prepared him for painting:

100_9323.JPG

Everything went together without a problem. The helmet will be painted as grey canvas, with the coat as black leather.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Don't usually follow figure builds, but this is a time for change for many of us.
Will watch the progress on this one.

Jim.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - It looks as though the jacket on the box art has had a final coat of satin varnish. I will paint mine in various shades of grey and try to go for a duller finish.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Definitely in for this Peter, a Russian Tank Commander no less :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - I don't know whether it will look good. I'll give it my best.

John - Right up your street.

I've got a good way with the head:

100_9324.JPG100_9325.JPG100_9326.JPG

A slight change to the palette this time, and I used a lot of magenta to give pinkish skin tones. The helmet was painted with mixes of Vallejo German Grey, Basalt Grey and Off white. I lost the light towards the end of the session, so there is still some touching-up to do.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim.

I do only work with daylight. I've tried every type of artificial light, daylight bulbs etc, but I find that they all set up too many shadows and shine for my purposes. It also means a limit to bench time, which is no bad thing.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It also means a limit to bench time, which is no bad thing.
I totally agree. I suppose it is different for modellers who live on their own. My bench is in an upstairs bedroom and with my music playing the hours just fly by. I do have to go downstairs to make a cup of tea every hour or so but if I didn't limit my time I'm sure I'd be sleeping in that room or divorced :rolling: :sad: ;)
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great colour choice for the face Peter, and the helmet is spot on. A lot of times they are shown as black , nice to see the correct colour.

Oh dear I'm in danger of turning into a "rivet counter ":nerd:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - It's the 'divorced' part that's my main concern!

John - I think the grey canvas were most numerous, but there were leather ones as well. All dependent of course on the materials available. I've also seen flying helmets converted by the addition of cloth rolls for the padding.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Thanks. It's nice to experiment occasionally.

Jason - Thank you.

Neil - Thanks also. As for the Dolph resemblance, I hope he looks less cyborgish now.