Young Miniatures 1/10 US Tank Crewman

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6117.JPG

This will be my next offering; a 1/10 US tank crewman by Young Miniatures.

The set comes with an alternative head:

100_6114.JPG

The second head is supplied with separate goggles, a neck microphone and a cigar, and is the better of the two, so I'll probably use that. I never like having the extra head, as I feel compelled to find it a home. I don't have anything really suitable, but thought I might be able to convert this German torso:

100_6115.JPG

With a little tweaking, it can easily be made to look like an M1943 hooded jacket, with the open neck built up into a scarf. Anyway, we'll see.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Sorry to hear that Peter, as far as I could see on the images they looked ok to me...

What do you mean with poorly finished? The resin surface that isn't good enough or bad sculpted or?

Hope you'll find an alternative head or project to work on :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steven

I think the sculptor had concentrated too much on getting the helmet right and hadn't paid enough attention to the face. The sculpting around the eyes was a bit hurried looking in particular.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I really thought you had broken the run of $~!t busts, where do you get them?

I'd probably shop somewhere else!

I have had an early walk out and been to Morrison's before getting back to the Pz I tracks!

One side done with a picture soon.

I really do hope you can get some decent busts soon.

Other than checking reviews and other painted busts for comments, is there any other way to try and ensure you get a decent bust rather than a lemon?

I do hope so!

Off to watch re runs of the new Star Trek films, good track link preparation background

Have a good day choosing your next victim

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter I just got in and its binned. Is it because the eyes are squinted because of the sunlight and there is no room to paint the iris? No chance of recovering it?

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Saw this yesterday on my phone. Thought I'd wait 'til today to see it on the big screen and comment and it's binned :thinking:
Onwards and upwards.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi People

I was a bit suspicious looking at the box art, which seemed to have 'fudged' the areas around the eyes, and as it turned out, they were very badly modelled, being somewhat unresolved and featureless.. Also, a thing that often occurs with Young busts is that the inside corner of the eye can be unnaturally recessed, and such was the case here. I did take a scalpel to the face in an attempt to try and rectify things, but unfortunately I just made it worse.

I'm a bit cross about this one as I suspect the whole thing was a bit of a rush job. I've spent the time since trying to paint the 1/16 heads supplied with the Tamiya 1/16 modern US infantryman in desert gear. It took me a long time to adjust to the scale, and again, I found the faces pretty poor, so I'll have to hunt out an alternative head if I ever take up the project again - not really enthusiastic considering current events in the world.