Young Miniatures Alexander the Great Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5833.JPG

Lets see how we get on with this one. This is of course a portrait of Colin Farrell in Oliver Stone's disastrous 'Alexander'. The film was widely panned by critics, with Farrell himself putting the failure down to his awful blond hairstyle alone:

ad_184853148-e1445090078402.jpg

Now, Alexander wasn't blond. I think the tradition came about from because the ancient statues had lost their paint and he looked blond:

Alexander-the-Great-marble-bust-British-Museum.jpg

This is a portrait from the famous Alexander Mosaic at Pompeii:

132.jpgdownload (27).jpg

As you can see, depicted about three hundred years after his death with dark hair, like any good Greek.

The dilemma is therefore whether to paint him as per the movie, or go for something more realistic. I think I'm going to go for the latter, so that it becomes a portrait of an Alexander who happens to look a bit like Farrell. rather than the bouffant blond from the screen. The costume designer obviously based the armour on the mosaic, so I'll use that as reference for the colouring.

Here are the parts:

100_5834.JPG

A really good portrait of KC, as it happens.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovin your ancient history work Peter. Hope the sculpt allows you to go all the way with this one. Good luck

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I agree that going back to the original dark haired Alexander will be the better way to go.

All that white too, it will give you another challenge, like the Egyptian Napoleonic soldier?

Another clear bright and frosty one in store, so it should be a good day to paint?

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - You do not!!!!!

Stevie J - I'm a bit fed up with modern subjects and have been inspired by Steve Brodie's recent work.

Steve - I probably will do white armour and sleeves, but I'm toying with the idea of a royal purple cloak - may give it a bit of a zing. As Colin Farrell has dark hair anyway, it should look even more like him. The other thing the critics didn't like about the film was that the Greeks all had 'oirish' accents - as they're speaking English anyway, they may as well have had Irish accents as English or American, but it did seem a bit odd. Very frosty, but nice and clear here - good painting weather.

Jim - I'll try not to cock this one up.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looking great. Very 'Hollywood' looking sculpt. Stugs certainly rule at the moment - Bob's influence is spreading :smiling: :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Slugs, Stugs.....!!!!

Another failure I'm afraid. Stripped down and back in the box for another time. I do go through these phases where nothing goes right.