Young Miniatures B-17 Waist Gunner Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8169.JPGtumblr_pyvzkqlDqx1w636mro1_540.jpg

Another Young Miniatures aviator, this time a 1/10, this time a B-17 waist gunner.

He comes like this:

100_8170.JPG100_8171.JPG

Really unusual to get instructions with a bust, but there are loads of strap ends and other accessories with this one, so it's just as well.

The equipment looks to be late war M1944:

unnamed (7).jpg20100516_84611.jpg

I've had a go at the head:

100_8181.JPG

A few adjustment to make, but it's basically there.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good thing I caught this at the head...nice head Peter. Will you be adding the straps later or paint in situ?

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Kind of you to say so. Not sure about that myself, but working on quality sculpts helps.

Richard - You've got no excuses now (hospital indeed!). I'll add all of the straps later and paint them in situ. The oxygen mask I'll paint separately.

Jim - See above, but thank you. Yes lots of textures, but thankfully less detail than the Luftwaffe man.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start to what looks like another well sculpted and detailed figure.

Looks like a broader palette too, which should be easier on the eyes.

Mini heatwave tomorrow?

20+, we will see!

Have a good day with the helmet and goggles today

Regards

Steve H

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

You've made a really good start there and as Andy said your heads are looking better and better.

I'm not a 'bust' person myself but the sculpting in the mould looks really good.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - It is a much simpler bust than the previous one, so hopefully the eyes will cope. I did start a 1/16 face yesterday, but couldn't see well enough to get very far. Hopefully it's just congestion affecting my vision, but I'm worried that my 1/16 days are drawing to an end, which is depressing.

Andrew - Thanks. It is a lovely bust and well sculpted and cast, as is the norm with offerings from Young Miniatures.

Steve B - Thanks for looking in.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely leather-work and a sharp enough photo too.

Perhaps your vision will settle once you are over the flu bout?

It would be a shame if you couldn't do 1:16 figures as they must be a refreshing change from busts when you get painted out?

They must be easier on the pocket too!

I guess you will need to have an active search for bargains as part of your modelling day to support your bust "habit?"

Looks like the 12 hour mini heatwave is on the way as its 16 C already, so the washer is on.

Have a good day with the body and a speedy recovery from the flu

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Welcome.

Steve - I'm hoping that it is just the 'flu that's affecting my eyesight as the thought of having to give up 1/16 figures is very depressing - we'll see. As you say, busts are expensive and represent less value for money, though I do seem to have slowed down a bit. I've stripped down a couple of old busts, so perhaps that's the way to keep within budget.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph! So glad that you're back and obviously feeling better. Sounds like you've had a rotten time of late, but I hope things are looking on the up and that you're getting on an even keel. My very best wishes to you.

D

Deleted member 4539

Looking great :smiling3:.
I have been working on some GW minis today that I started before I went to hospital.Back to basics for me ie,base colour, dry brush then wash,great fun.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph. Painting small scale figures and having a bit of fun is a great way to get back into things. Enjoy.

The torso is now done:

100_8219.JPG100_8227.JPG100_8224.JPG

I'm having a lot of trouble photographing this. You'll have to take my word for it that the collar is a lot more textured than it seems here - the detail keeps getting bleached-out in the photos.

The final stage will be fixing and painting the various straps and wires, and painting and adding the oxygen mask.

Last edited by a moderator: