Young Miniatures Commando Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

young-miniatures-british-commandos-ww_1_9db717d0ca1be95914c1f073015d6f24.jpg9974b1e08c9b01f7f7e044152c2e7087 (1).jpg

This is another one of Richard's. The bust is based on the photo of a member of 3 Commando in training in Scotland, but the figure has been given 4 Commando insignia. That unit took part in the famous raid on the German-held Lofoten Islands in March 1941, which destroyed fish oil storage and processing facilities and did other damage, including the capture of a number of Kriegsmarine code books.

This is a photo of a Cpl John Shaw taken during the raid:

cpl-john-shaw-lofoten-raid-mar-44.jpg

The kit is of the usual Young Miniatures standard:

100_7378.JPG

The insignia is all there and very nicely delineated, so I won't have to paint it by hand, which brings me feelings of joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Well, you guessed it, another head failure. I just couldn't get this one right and suspect that it required a looser approach than I'm capable of.

So:

100_7379.JPG

I took a Reedees spare head, extended the neck with a piece from another bust, and had a go at sculpting a beret from Milliput. I figured that a beret would have to be just about the easiest headgear to sculpt, but this took a long time to get right and will need sanding down somewhat when dry. The hair was built up with Deluxe putty mixed with plenty of water. I'll worry about the cap badge later.

D

Deleted member 4539

Nice work Peter :smiling3:.
I wish I did not have to do this(but I know when it comes to painting it will do your head in).
As you look straight at the picture, above the left eye you can see that there is a chunk of the rim of the beret missing.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nicely sculpted beret, just a little more and its perfect, well done again with the peripheral skill set.

I guess your bar for heads is a high one, good job some sculptors manage to achieve or it would be a real tough bust to finish!

The dagger in the mouth is a striking pose but probably would not have looked that good once completed?

""She"" is out of isolation later today, so back to normal service shortly, good job we didn't do a ""Cummings"" LOL

Looks like another reasonable day, though its a little cloudy at the moment, it should clear later, hopefully

Have a good day finishing the beret and painting the head

I think I shall have a busy day too!!

Regards

Steve H

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Peter

the beret is looking good - maybe a cap-comforter would have been easier to sculpt ( and you wouldn't need to worry about the badge).

Mark

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H- I'm disappointed not to be able to use the kit head, as it is rather dramatic. My 'style' really only suits crisply modelled faces = you'll notice the box artist has got over the ambiguities by using broader shading than I can do. Hope the 'return' is not too exhausting!

Steve J - :tongue-out2:

Mark - I didn't think of that, dammit! Too late now though - results to follow....

D

Deleted member 6559

Here's the head:

100_7384.JPG100_7383.JPG100_7386.JPG

The badge was done with blobs of artist's gold acrylic. It needs a bit more work, but it will probably do.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Peter

I notice you've done a really nice Royal Marines badge - but weren't 4 Commando an Army Unit?

Mark

D

Deleted member 6559

Mark - OOps! Yes you're right Mark. I'l change it.

Ralph - Thanks. Badge changed!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nicey nicey Pierre.Beret looks fine and dandy mate,I thought the knife in his gob was a bit contrived so i dont blame you for changing his melon.
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great head and the badge is quite something, shame it has to go, but the sleeve badge is quite prominent.

Its going to be a nice day, fresh, clear and bright, just as well as I'll probably be in the garage escaping the tidying up!

The BBC seem to think its going to be a few days of nice weather, must be a mistake!

Looks like it will be a Khaki drab day today

Have fun and a new badge too

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I really did want to use the kit head but just didn't have the skill to paint it. I also made the mistake of looking too closely at Kirill Kanaev's stupendous box art - very humbling.

Scottie - Thanks matey.

Steve - The only reference I can find for a 4 Commando badge is a Free French one. I get the impression that the men just wore their old regimental badges. Very bright here, in fact a bit too bright for painting, but good dog-walking weather.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Brilliant - he looks like he's stepped straight from the cover of "Commando" magazine from the 70's