Young Miniatures Navy Seal Bust, Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

young-miniatures-10-navy-seal-vietnam_1_c457a44b74695c92a688c0c8296a4623 (1).jpg

Another generous donation by Richard Pearce. This one may be a bust too far, what with the tiger-stripe camo and face paint, but I feel like a challenge.

The usual Young's quality sculpting and casting:

100_5784.JPG

He's wearing the small life vest designed for special forces on brown water ops, and is equipped with a radio and smoke grenades

The reference:

glfp9.jpgdownload (26).jpgUDT_vest_3_new_450.jpgvietnamese-tiger-stripe.jpg

There seem to be about a million variations of tiger-stripe, so I think I'll try and match that in the first photo.

Pray for me....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Difficulties - a man of your abliities laughs at difficulties :tongue-out3: Great looking bust.
Jim

J

James Robert Noble

Hello Peter! I would like very much to be front and centre on this one!
My big notepad and pen as always at the ready with your amazing work! :nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Stripes Yikes!!! If it's anyone it's you Peter to pull this off. I've seen Youngs stuff up close but can't remember if he painted this one or had someone else paint for the box art. He's a prolific sculptor and usually only needs a day to paint....craaazy.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along chaps. I have done a small amount of tiger stripe before and it was challenging, but do-able. Fingers crossed.

The head:

100_5790.JPG100_5791.JPG

I decided that there was no point doing a complete flesh job, only to cover it with camo later, so I just went for it and applied the camo colours first - Vallejo Intermediate Green, Saddle Brown and German Uniform. The most difficult part was shading each patch of colour, and it took me some time to realise that I could afford to be quite bold with the highlights and shadows. Really tricky.

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Wow...that’s brilliant...I’d been out of doing faces with camo paint on as I didn’t think I could do it justice but that’s superb!
Jason

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for the kind words chaps. It's the first camo face I've managed to complete. I think having done all that Denison camo before perhaps helped.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

You don't do Sci Fi or even the Ice King from Game of Thrones, but............................

What a superb piece of painting Sir.

You really should try something with a none pink flesh base, you might enjoy the release from "normal" boundaries.

Tiger stripe camo next too!

You might get a taste for the abstract?

Looks like you will have fun today.

Should be a better light day, as its clear with a heavy air frost here.

I shall look forward to seeing your camo when I get back from my joint clinic appointment this morning

Have fun, it should be a natural next step after your wonderful head.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - Thank You.

Neil - Many thanks. Martin Sheen wore tiger-stripe, and he did paint his face for the final assassination scenes, as did Marlon Brando when he delivered the head of Chef (anorak, anorak):

studio-publicity-still-from-apocalypse-now-martin-sheen-1979-united-artists-all-rights-reserve...jpgcb0cb8ba5b09f818313ca225901e2512.jpgaponow14.jpg

Steve - I'm so relieved this has worked out. It's a bit tidy, but the dilemma is a similar to the one when painting German sprayed camo - if it was really as messy and random as it was in reality, you'd be accused of bad painting. The tiger-stripe is about working out a method, so I've been thinking about how to go about it overnight. The thing that bothers me most is that the torso is very complicated - the uniform, life-vest, radio harness etc. I may get everything else done before painting the camo.

Good luck at the joint clinic - not long now!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yes like Steve said if anyone can pull it off it will be you and yes it is stunning