Young Miniatures Navy Seal Bust, Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I can only echo the positive comments from the other guys - face camo looks perfect. I do agree with your thoughts about real life face camo being rather untidy whereas on a model it would need to be more precise to avoid it being considered 'slapdash' painting.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Lee and Jim.

I've actually decided to give up with this one for the time-being. I spent all day struggling with the tiger-stripe camo and just got into a worse and worse mess. It stopped being fun and turned into a major chore fairly quickly. My skills just aren't up to doing this one justice yet, so I'll put it away and try something else.

Sorry folks.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bummmmmmmmer! Hopefully we will see it done oneday. Fun is key with this modelling lark so time to move on. Looking forward to seeing whats next in store from the PDiddy masterclass. :thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Shame about the camo, but it could shine a light on a fill in between busts for you!

If you have a "spare" body with minimal webbing etc, you could take a day or 2 between projects, trying camo patterns and colour mixes both for practise and future use.

As its not a full figure and is a practise piece, it could be less annoying and if at first it doesn't work, it can still be photographed for reference when you try that particular pattern again.

And researching how others have done Tiger stripe and digital patterns, all low cost but useful! possibly?

Off to find the bleached blonde Alexander LOL

Regards

Steve H

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter

I hope you work out out in the future. The face looks great. That look in his eyes is outstanding!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - :thumb2:

Steve - Good idea. It's all about practice. I need to do a lot of technique research on this one.

Andrew - Always the way. I somehow knew that the head would be the best part.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
I am sure you do your self a dis service and the tiger strip would have been great. But your right if your not happy and aren't having fun you were right to stop. I hope to see it surface soon.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome along chaps. I have done a small amount of tiger stripe before and it was challenging, but do-able. Fingers crossed.

The head:
I decided that there was no point doing a complete flesh job, only to cover it with camo later, so I just went for it and applied the camo colours first - Vallejo Intermediate Green, Saddle Brown and German Uniform. The most difficult part was shading each patch of colour, and it took me some time to realise that I could afford to be quite bold with the highlights and shadows. Really tricky.

Well that makes sense , must remember that !