Young Miniatures USMC Bust, Iwo Jima

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8109.JPG

Back to the busts, hopefully for a bit of relief to over-strained eyes. This is a I/10 bust by Young B Song of a US Marine on Iwo Jima:

100_8110.JPG

He's depicted in USMC denims, with a camouflage helmet cover and a rolled camouflaged rain cape. He also has a machete sticking out of his back-pack, and a nice touch is the spoon in his breast pocket (he's got his priorities right). My only slight misgiving is the droopy left eye, but I suppose we could call that character.

So, two different types of camo to paint and the question as to whether to try and replicate the herringbone weave on the jacket.

D

Deleted member 6559

The head:

100_8111.JPG100_8112.JPG100_8113.JPG

He was a bit of a pickle, but it was nice to be able to get at the detail after working on a lot of 1/16 heads recently. The mouth is slightly skewed as he'll be smoking a cigar, which will be attached later.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice bit of character to the face Peter. Nice to see you back with the busts

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Way beyound my skills Peter

Watching and learning!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another cracking start, regarding eyes and "stuff", we are all A symmetric, so the sculpture is portraying real life.

I know!,

Not what you want to hear in a 1/10 bust, but it has turned out very well and first time too, well done.

The weather is certainly giving us all a good battering!

Hopefully some decent light for the body today!

Storm weather and knackered old roofs, guess what sort of a week I am having?

"The storm didn't cause the damage, it highlighted that fact that the roof is in poor condition""

And repeat!!!!

Have a better day than I| will!!!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Bob - Thanks for looking in. I'll try not to mess it up.

Steve - As one who is also slightly 'symmetrically challenged' in the face department, I know your words are true. He's also puffing on a cigar, so the features would be slightly skewed. On to the helmet today, so time to dig out the camo reference.

Our kitchen conservatory extension is being replaced in October, so we might just stay waterproof if the storms allow. Fingers crossed. Hope your roof holds up (don't repair it yourself).

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your frustration doesn't show on the finish, it looks good, certainly different to European camo!

Looks like Francis has blown over, until the next one arrives!

Hopefully your roof will survive until October.

I think its going to be a interesting Autumn and Winter, one way or the other.

Both for the weather and how we all progress with Covid too.

We are still in a local lockdown and though it is due for a weekly review today, it seems very unlikely that we will be released?

Have a good day with the drab body and drapery

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I did a bit more work on the helmet cover yesterday, tidying up etc, and it's looking better this morning. The frustration was having to learn as I went along and adjust my approach. I copied some reference for the left side, but thought I could wing it for the right, which is where I came a bit unstuck.

The continuing Covid crises certainly is making for interesting times, and I wonder if the colder weather will push up the infection rate? Probably best to continue to play it safe and avoid contact where possible. People are still being pretty good about that around here, though the message took some time to strike home.

On to the jacket today, and I may try Vallejo German Uniform. Marine denims tended to fade to a light minty-green colour, so it might work.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That is coming on a treat. I rather like the eyes and the troublesome helmet has worked fine.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Very kind words. Thank you. I have always hated painting camo.

Jim - I can sort of see what Young B Song is doing with the eyes - exaggerating the expression somewhat. Glad you like him so far.

On to the torso today, and the front of it is getting there:

100_8118.JPG100_8119.JPG

I used Vallejo German Uniform for the jacket, with a little Light Olive added in a few places to vary the tones. It didn't really start to work until I began doing some serious highlighting, using pure Off White for the extreme highlights.

The next stage is to paint the back of the shirt and the backpack.