Young Miniatures USMC Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

young-miniatures-usmc-hue-vietnam_360_c541d2e91575b0e90c1c4331311ad03b.jpg

Along with his two new Mookies busts, Richard Pearce also sent me a box of stuff from his stash, which included eight full figures including this chap. Another amazingly generous gift from my friend.

This is an RTO of the USMC at Hue during the Tet Offensive of 1968. Hue was the ancient capital of Vietnam and the scene of around three months of bitter street-fighting, a new kind of warfare for the Americans in Vietnam.

There are fourteen beautifully cast parts:

100_5539.JPG

The grenades are for attachment to the back of the radio. I was worried about hand-painting the markings on these until I saw that someone else who'd tackled the figure had managed to find decals. I had never seen 1/10 decals before, so I had a look at the Peddinghaus site and lo and behold:

100_5540.JPG

Hard to see the writing, which is in white. Peddinghaus also do German and Russian uniform decals which may be worth looking at for the future.

So here we go.....

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Looking forward to this Peter and good work in finding the decals... I'd seen this bust myself but the lettering had put me off!
Jason.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Gererosity indeed. From the look of the box art he is portrayed as a rather smooth faced youngster so it will be interesting to see your take on it.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jason - With the lettering sorted I'm much happier to have a go.

Jim - Richard always seems to be able to predict when I'm completely broke and can't buy models for myself - uncanny. Yes. the youthful face will be interesting.

Ready for paint:

100_5541.JPG

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Im glad you are making use of my stash oddments mate.I must be getting clairvoyant as i thought earlier i bet Peter will tackle the RTO bust next for a complete change of theatre and timescale!!.Lots of green tones to get to grips with my friend.
Enjoy and we are all waiting with nibbles and beverages in the stalls.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - You sure are getting clairvoyant; either that, or you know me too well.

Made a start on the head:

100_5548.JPG

Sorry, too dark to get a clear photo. I've taken up John Ballard's challenge and gone for more contrast with this one - not sure if I'll be able to go with it.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
looks wonderful as usual the paint on the face is stunning... if i may give you a suggestion the rubber band on the helmet is black it was made out of inner tube of old tires... ;)

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Big fan of your Vietnam bust last time out. One of the best you have ever done. Im sure this will be up there with the best of them. Good luck

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - Cheers for that. Thought it was wrong on the box art.

Steve - I like doing Vietnam figures. Richard had also given me the 120mm Verlinden RTO.

Scottie - Bringing it on. Chickening out on the contrast though - see how it looks in the morning.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
I like the extra contrast....looks like he’s standing in bright sunlight.....gives his features good definition as well.....nice start....

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Reminds me of a young Emilio Estevez. Nice start. Good catch on the inner tube. Also good for cig. pack, deck of cards, more insect repellent. PaulE

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Thanks. Trying to hold my nerve re the contrast. Made the mistake of looking too closely at the box art, which is always a mistake when it's that good.

Paul - Glad he still looks young. Only the insect repellent on this one - I have 200 mm Verlinden figure that has the lot in his helmet band - Malboros, insect repellent, placing card (ace of spades), medi pack.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've done a bit more work on the face:

100_5555.JPG100_5556.JPG100_5557.JPG

I'm going to try and leave it alone now. On to the helmet.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Lovely painting. You have kept his young, fresh faced look.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Still not quite there, so I've done a bit more work to the flesh.

Steve - Alright you cheeky chappie.

The helmet:

100_5559.JPG100_5562.JPG100_5563.JPG

I enjoyed painting the helmet, despite the camo - lots of fiddly detail to play with. Once I'd put it on the head, I needed to adjust some of the shading to the face to account for the extra thrown but the helmet brim. In particular, I worked on the cheeks to give a softer transition of colours.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now this is a real corker Mr.D.The facial contrasts are sublime and full of character.The helmet is a nice rendition and i think we all wait with baited breath for the uniform to evolve.
Top drawer Carruthers.!!!!!.
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich.