Young Miniatures USMC Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Many thanks. That horse's head! The scene actually occurs well into the film (anorak, anorak), but it is unforgettably horrible.

Steve - I was only joking. Still the grenades, hand-set and antenna to do. Hopefully I'll get them done tomorrow before my granddaughter arrives and mayhem ensues.

Jim - Thanks. The box artist has done a better job on his youth. I can't work out how he's done it except by perhaps ignoring some of the detail around the eyes.

Lee - Cheers. Young B Song is a master at sculpting wrinkled clothing, and if it's there, you at least have the option of trying to paint it. I always feel beholden to the sculptor to try and bring out any detail he's provided.

Radio and pouch attached and painted:

100_5571.JPG100_5592.JPG

Not enamoured of my work on the radio, but at least the back will be covered by the grenades.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Back on top form +, well done, even the hidden bits look great.

The Magpies are a much maligned bird, we love them here at 26 and feed them along with all the local feathered gangs.

It is noisy at times but its all part of nature and gives back more than the cost of nuts and seeds.

Even the squirrels get a seat at the table!

I had a look at the Tin Drum film, clips on You Tube and reviews.

Its an ............................................... odd film, very odd indeed, I even tried the audio book, but I went back to Jim Butcher's, Dresden after 30 minutes.

It was just too ............................. different for me, but it was critically acclaimed in its time, but has been demonised since.

Enough book club!

I tried a new brush, a Rafael 8404, but too stiff for my taste, though getting any brush back into paint is something of a tectonic move for me!

I need to build another paint rack, as I squashed the last one!

Don't ask!!!

Misty and rain here, but slightly warmer.

Have a good day finishing off the bust

Regards

Steve H

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A company in Australia used to make a set of decals for the radio and smoke grenades, out of production i think now. Anyway they were not much cop as broke up very easy. i ended up using 2 to make one for the smoke grenade on my SBS bust, just disintegrated.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jason - Cheers. The radio's mostly hidden now.

Steve H - The Tin Drum has to be my all-time favourite book, and the film doesn't disappoint. Gunther Grass's reputation suffered a bit after it was revealed he was in the SS, but a young man living during the end of the war in East Prussia probably didn't have much choice.

I like Magpies too!

Steve B - I've used the Peddinghaus decals and they went OK . More later.......

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Totally awesome Monsieur Pierre,Sheer quality all round.The green tones and grenades and face is sublime.
One of my customers said they love your work on our boxes so we have some fans mon ami.
Rich.

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Super work Peter just... I KNOW I KNOW i'm a pain the butt... but the smoke grenades are not marked like that...
the color is on the top...and there are no colors around the grenade...
here is a pic as reference of a Vietnam era grenade
and sorry if this comment might annoy you.... your work is stunning as usual
p22536_112502_1476208718.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thanks. Dirtying is something for the future perhaps.

Colin - Thank You.

Richard. Have been a bit meh about this one, so you've cheered me up.

Scottie - Very glad you like him.

Greg - Wasn't sure. Peddinghaus had the all white lettering, but I chose these as more colourful. Perhaps our man has been playing with his felt-tip pens? I may paint out the coloured bands at some point in the future.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Peter. Hope you have a great family weekend. Looking forward to seeing the final reveal

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The joys of using a phone to do my update this morning. Must have been stuck in the system :smiling5:

Any how great to see the bust complete. It is a wonderful tribute to your artwork. The facial work is stunning. You must be very pleased. Looking forward to seeing whats next on the bench. Have a great weekend my friend

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Steve - Thanks. Dirtying is something for the future perhaps.

Colin - Thank You.

Richard. Have been a bit meh about this one, so you've cheered me up.

Scottie - Very glad you like him.

Greg - Wasn't sure. Peddinghaus had the all white lettering, but I chose these as more colourful. Perhaps our man has been playing with his felt-tip pens? I may paint out the coloured bands at some point in the future.
Well Peter Marines eat crayons... they don't use them.... AHAHHAHAHAHAAHH.. as i said your work is fantastic and i did not mean to annoy you

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Glad you like our chap. Not that pleased with the way he's turned out - my expectations exceeding my skill-level. Spent too much time looking at the box art I guess.

Granddaughter's here with a vengeance - she's just had her MMR jab and is feeling a bit sorry for herself. As the whole family is here (second daughter back from university for a few days) I should get some bench time.

Greg - You didn't annoy me - you never do. All comments gratefully received. I should have researched it better, but my love of colour got the better of me. I've had enough of this one for now, but will adjust it when I can face it (I dropped it when I'd just finished, which was just about the last straw - all the grenades, radio and the aerial fell off. Easily fixed, thankfully).

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Just Brilliant....I’m returning a compliment you made to one of my builds....here it is ...
“WALLOP!!!!”