Your Impossible Builds...

P

Polux

Yep!

Thinking about new possibilities to build, I remember myself, that there are some projects, that for some reason or another seems that will be never done....

Your impossible builds....

The lack of space, maybe economic or other reasons....but those projects will be ever on your mind, no more.....

Build all the Wingout Wings models, or all the Airfix 1/24....?

Maybe you want to build a float of wood "galleons" but they are so difficult...?

I'm sure everyone has his impossible dream!

Which is yours?!?

Well, mine is this....

## I love the dioramas, so my impossible build is a big (big is big....not a small dio) Steampunk street. Full of scratch build vehicles engineered by steam, moving around of Victorian buildings...:rolleyes:

But I know my self....

I don't specially be a scratch build modeler...and this project is an absolutely challenge!!! The other reason is worst....I am a really capricious modeller....so I'm sure I should changing to the other models before finish this one!

Cheers

L

Laurie

Actually Polux providing it is not more than 1/32 scale (not in love with this scale) i will have a go at anything.

My largest is a 1/48 Catalina which is 26inches wide (660mm). I doubt that i will build anything so large again due to the space.

But my present project is Afghanistan. All the aircraft and vehicles which were used by British Forces. This will be in a scene.

I say a scene as I always consider a diorama as a story with a lot of detail any model in it taking equal place. The Afghan scene

will be 6feet by 18inches (1800*500mm). So far I have built 3 models now on the fourth. I have 7 more models on the shelf making

11 so far. But I extend my project every time I come across a new vehicle or aircraft which fits the bill.

Not sure about the transport type C47 is that right. They are overwhelmingly large. I think Harriers G7 were also used there.

At times i am frightened to look as I my be overwhelmed. But all is going to plan.

My apologies Polux probably diversified a bit here.

LAurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My impossible dream?

Build all the kits I have in my stash! Dude there a good few to keep me quiet

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
My impossible build although I'm going to give at go when I've done some research is to show a Saturn V launch I've no idea how to model the exhaust gasses plumes or the water bowsers on the pad and the resulting steam clouds

I have the model and the launch tower is currently under construction just need a interface between the two ie the rocket about halfway up the tower rising on 5 F1 Rocketdyne motors I want to put some dynamic into this build not just have it static on the pad

Any ideas on how this could be achieved will be most welcome

Regards

Colin

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Like the title says impossible builds I do have few ideas kicking around but I got to finish the tower 1st and do a hell of a lot of watching Saturn V launches to get a feel for the way the plumes look from all angles etc

Colin

L

Laurie

\ said:
Like the title says impossible builds I do have few ideas kicking around but I got to finish the tower 1st and do a hell of a lot of watching Saturn V launches to get a feel for the way the plumes look from all angles etc
Colin
Find in these situations Colin just to keep working at it. May be an idea to join a forum on this subject as I am sure they will help or put you in touch.

Apologies for being a bit flippant.

Laurie

P

Polux

\ said:
A OO gauge model railway of Glasgow Central Station circa 1970's.
Which is the problem...? There isn't any viable item of this station?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Which is the problem...? There isn't any viable item of this station?
Have you ever been to Glasgow Central? It's a large terminus station on the banks of the river Clyde with a beautiful facade, train shed and the famous Heilinman's Umbrella (part of the station covers Argyle St where many a weary traveller has sheltered from the Scottish rain). Google it and see what I mean.

The impossibility? Time and space.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Not sure about the transport type C47 is that right.
C-17 Laurie. Not sure I'd want to be flying about in a modern war zone in a C-47 :smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
C-17 Laurie. Not sure I'd want to be flying about in a modern war zone in a C-47 :smiling3:
What Joe are those just beautiful transport planes. Those lovely droopy wings with that huge tail plane.

For such a huge aircraft it is good looker of an aircraft. Every time I see one of them I think it is a dream of a design.

Always feel sad as well as they come on to the TV screen as it is to deliver human beings back to Britain who have succumbed to some disaster.

Plus also those who have been badly injured by the terrorist attack in Tunisia. Have to be proud as well to see the attention they are getting,

as shown on the news, from the surgeons doctors and nurses on the aircraft during their journey.

So sad that the best in human beings shines through due to beings who have deserted the human side of life. So very very sad both for the families of both victims and the aggressors.

It does seem at times that love has deserted this earth.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It is a Boeing C-17 Globemaster Laurie. Here is the Royal Air Force page: http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/c17aglobemaster.cfm

Yes, the news has been rather sad lately. Not sure love has deserted the Earth but there are certainly a lot of radical groups trying to force their views.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
My impossible build although I'm going to give at go when I've done some research is to show a Saturn V launch I've no idea how to model the exhaust gasses plumes or the water bowsers on the pad and the resulting steam clouds
I have the model and the launch tower is currently under construction just need a interface between the two ie the rocket about halfway up the tower rising on 5 F1 Rocketdyne motors I want to put some dynamic into this build not just have it static on the pad

Any ideas on how this could be achieved will be most welcome

Regards

Colin
Hi colin , have you thought about trying expanding foam in a can , ive seen some pretty funky looking shapes when this stuff oozes out of the nozzle after youve finished using it . You can get a tin for about a fiver. , just be careful how you experiment with it though , it sticks to anything with a vengeance , always have some acetone ( nail varnish remover) on hand to clean it off anything you dont want it on , including your hands!!! Hope this is helpful , cheers tony

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Tony

Interesting idea I have heard of foam but didn't know it could be purchased in cans as the only stuff like that I had seen was that cavity wall insulation foam which is probably more lethal than agent orange used in Vietnam will definitely investigate as a possible method

T

treyzx10r

I keep eye balling the 1/48 Planet models resin JU-388 in my stash ,open the box look at it,sigh mornfully and put it back. Just ca'nt get my nerve up to pull the trigger on it .

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I have seen good results with teased out cotton wool, painted/dyed in various colours so yellows at the hottest parts to pale greys further out. Even LEDs in the centre to give the brightness.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I have seen good results with teased out cotton wool, painted/dyed in various colours so yellows at the hottest parts to pale greys further out. Even LEDs in the centre to give the brightness.
Dave

Yep that's one of the ideas I've been kicking around the material is light lends itself to being manipulated should be easily colourable using paints/dyes for the immediate stress plumes directly from the engines something like a clear plastic bottle neck suitably painted will need 5 of them then attach the cotton wool cloud to the 5 exhaust plumes that's the theory will need a bloody good paint job to pull it off convincingly

Colin