YZR M1 -05 50th Anniversary specials

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice! Isn't that what they marketed as the powervalve LC in England?

Look forward to this as I have terrorised many a London street on one of those.

Ian M

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
not sure about that ian but i know it relates to the power valve - to powerful for me! always rode the big singles - scared my self to death when brought out there R series made my mind up then that it was better to say slow and safe. but had some good fun on them till i gave them up last year

simon

M

m1ks

The yzr M1 is the moto gp 800cc ballistic missile, the closest to it in road bike terms is the 2010 yamaha r1 which uses a similar design crossplane crankshaft, (often referred to as a big bang crank), if you watch footage of last years gp and see either lorenzo or rossi and listen to the engine you'll note it has a lazy sound compared to the screaming of the honda / suzuki's. These are all four strokes.

The lc was a range of two strokes lc referring to liquid cooled and the powervalve being a disc valve system which opened at a certain rev range giving a 'boost' of sorts, it was something all stroker msnufacturers played with to try and even out the performance as all two stroke machines are tuned via the length of exhaust and have a narrow 'optimum' power band, the expansion chamber, (spannies), in racing circles, goes part way to tuning this, the powervalve was an additional extension allowing exhaust gas out or restricting it to build back pressure. Sadly the eurocrats have killed two strokes and very few are available new, the poor learners today have to put up with heavily restricted wheezing four stroke singles.

The rd's were available in 125 single,250 twin, 400 & 500 variants, a whole generation grew up inhaling that luxurious blue smoke and they have a real cult following now. :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

m1ks, couldn't have said it better myself. I used to attend the Chas Mortimer racing school way back in the late seventies and he used to use the old RD 400's. If you were really promising he would let you use one of the LC 350's, which were stunning in thier day and my first introduction to liquid cooled bike engines. I remember them going past the pit lane and was always surprised at how quiet they were, more of a whistle than the scream of the RDs.

That particular range of Yamaha's became affectionately known as Elsies and are highly sought after. Mainly because most of them were thrashed to within an inch of thier lives so good condition ones are very hard to find.

M

m1ks

very true and, ironically, the peoplelooking for good uns, treating them with kid gloves and bemoaning the fact that most were thrashed senseless were the ones doing the thrashing in their youth, not that i ever did that ofcourse, ahem.

Well not on rd's, i was always a kawasaki fan. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hey that's the one I has an LC350, without the power-valve!!! Totally insane ride. I thrashed mine too. Every thing that did not need to be there was pulled of. The Cast alloy wheels got the chop in favour of good old wire spoked wheels. Oh those where the days...

Ian M

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Oh my god so guilty I had a couple of rd's 250's the E they where the bees knees you could guarantee you would have to change at least one piston every 500 miles or so - but thanks to simple technology 8 bolts and the head was off bigger jobs were 6 engine mounts and out it came, had some fun on them - most memorable occasion was when we hit the ton on a long straight near where we live and the con rod sheared jammed under the exhaust port and left a perfect black line for 200 yards, new set of pant's required as well - no break down truck so we put it in the boot of a mark 3 Cortina and back to the workshop for a rebuild.

350lc were a hand full never owned one but drove a couple smooth as a kangaroo no happy medium it was all or nothing and the power band used to kick in whenever it felt like it funny times great memories

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Happy days eh Simon. I used to love launching my 350 off the humpback bridge just outside Greenwhich, on the way to and from work. The Polizi at the bottom of the road was not quite as amused......

Never had problems with smoothness, mine ran fine and the power was right there where I wanted it.

Soooooo Hows thing on the build front? Any news?

Ian M

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
no not started yet cold weather has moved right in and the garage despite the heating is toooo cold to work in never mind paint so will wait it out for the start date - bought 2 front ends from hong kong so hoping they arrive by then

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
ok forks have arrived 8 days from hongkong excellent service hopefully the temp will rise and i will be able to move in and build something -

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Story so far !

Hi sorry to take so long to get things moving I had planned to start 3 weeks ago but due to the very sudden death of my brother in law I had to put it on hold, it was a very sad time for all of us, he had just turned 50, so as a result I have decided to dedicate the builds to his memory.

Ok that said here’s where I am.

Picture 1 is the forks I bought from Hong Kong.

Picture 2, 3 & 4 is the main components normally I put these together first out of sequence with the instructions because I air brush the built up parts where I can i.e. the engine block, frame & fairings this allows you to fill and prime these part’s then after they have dried off to mask and spray the different tones required, the body work is always last on the instructions and personally I like to put them together first. This allows you time to fill rub down prime and paint over the length of the build if its left till the end you sometimes find you rush into it and settle for second best just to complete,

Never built 2 at the same time before but finding it interesting once you tackle the first assemble the second is a piece of cake mainly because you have crossed any bridge’s that have been placed before you.

these are all first fix i have done no filling or painting as yet

View attachment 27249

View attachment 27248

View attachment 27251

View attachment 27250

View attachment 33100

View attachment 33101

View attachment 33102

View attachment 33103

50th-2.jpg

50th-1.jpg

50th-4.jpg

50th-3.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Simon,

sorry to read the bad news. I hope that you and your families are well you have my condolences.

Good to see you back at the build board. Looking good so far.

Ian M

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
18-04-2011 this weeks progress

Primed the engine and frame on the metal components, I tend to use a silver primer this give the base a metalic touch.

The body work and panels that I have ready. I primed with white to help bring out the top coat

Also I have managed to do some of the engine components and the block itself, still work to do on them but getting there slowly.

View attachment 27581View attachment 27584View attachment 27583View attachment 27582View attachment 27580

Simon

View attachment 33419

View attachment 33420

View attachment 33421

View attachment 33422

View attachment 33423

50th-9.jpg

50th-5.jpg

50th-8.jpg

50th-7.jpg

50th-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Week end Up date

Week end up date

Finished the engine block and components, primed the body work using fine surface primer, then top coats as required, black ts29 & ts14 yellow ts45 pearl white ts47 these are just the first coats.

Question of you experienced modellers do you clear coat before the decals or after?

View attachment 27650View attachment 27651View attachment 27655View attachment 27654View attachment 27652View attachment 27653

Simon

View attachment 33460

View attachment 33461

View attachment 33462

View attachment 33463

View attachment 33464

View attachment 33465

yellow eng.jpg

white eng.jpg

50th body 4.jpg

50th body 1.jpg

white 1.jpg

50th body 2.jpg

M

m1ks

Provided you're decalling onto a gloss surface it doesn't matter, the sole reason for this is to minimise the risk of silvering, (trapped air under the decal).

With military models they generally have a matte finish so a gloss varnish before decals is beneficial, not important if you're gloss coating a model first though.

Sorry to hear of your news but nice to see you jumping in with these, i'll be watching them progress as i'm sure many others will.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What M1ks said. I only ever gloss coat before decals if the finish is anything other than high gloss.

These are going to look good parked up next to each other.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Simon sorry to hear of your loss ,my condolences. The build is looking good ,body looks like it sprated out very clean!