Zündapp Ks 750 1:72

First Name
Peter
Hello!

Let me introduce myself, as I am new here. My name is Peter and I live in the UK. English is not my native language so please forgive me my errors.

I would like to show you the way I built 1:72 scale motorcycle. Where's the idea from - you might ask. Well, I needed cargo for my Ju 52/3m and bought Hat’s kit. The picture on the box shows one motorcycle and one rider. I wasn't expecting miracles, but I thought it would consist of at least few parts. To my great disappointment motorbike comes with one mould x6 plus several figures. Here are the pictures.

As you see the kit is not very detailed. But I did not give up and decided to scratch build it myself. You will see the construction step by step. I will use broken floppy disc plastic, Milliput, leftovers from PE frame, and different diameter brass wire. These are the parts I have prepared so far:

I hope you'll enjoy watching the progress and give me some feedback.:waiter:

Regards,

Marudek

B

Bunkerbarge

Marudek a very warm welcome to the forum. Your project looks very interesting and I look forward to seeing it progress. I think most of us would have persevered with the kit parts but I am sure that your scratch built items will be a great improvement.

How about a couple of photo's of the aircraft in question?

First Name
Peter
Hi Bunkerbarge,

The airplane is converted Heller’s JU52/3m – II world war German transporter. I’ve added some interior detail and changed the colour scheme to the one used in the Balkans theatre (for it’s most colourful). I stopped this project when I made cargo door open and realised there’s nothing inside to show. Anyway here are the pictures:

Coming back to my Zundapp. I assembled the frame, tank and rear mudguard. In the meanwhile I tried to invent spokes production technique. As you see the fourth trial succeeded.

Regards,

Marudek

B

Bunkerbarge

Superb Marudek, I never thought I would see spokes in 1/72nd scale!! Lovely little job.

First Name
Peter
Maybe you’d like to know how I made it? Well, I used 20 lengths of wire acquired from toy motor. Then I glued them with CA from one “end” to half length. When CA dried I’ve spread unglued lengths into a kind of “umbrella skeleton”. Secured the opposite side with little disc sliced off an old model frame. Cut each spoke to required length and finally cut off lengths glued together. See yourself:

On the next pictures: A little trial, assembled front shocks and my messy workshop (with Zundapp in the middle).

Regards,

Marudek

B

backonthecase

This looks great Peter. I really like the colour scheme of the JU52. Do you have any internet references for German aircraft colour schemes?

Thanks

A

alan2525

Superb work on the motorcycle! I have to agree with Bunker - seeing spoked wheels in 1:72 scale is pretty amazing! That's the great thing about these forums theres always someone doing something different.

I hope you don't suffer from hayfever with all those tiny parts - one sneeze and...

Anyhow - keep us updated with the build as it progresses!!

A

alan2525

That's one thing I like about scale modelling - the sheer number of tools and stuff you need to make the tiniest pieces! It's almost hard to spot the motorcycle on your cutting board there amongst all the 1/1 scale hand tools!

First Name
Peter
Hi backonthecase!

I got the scheme and all I needed from this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Luftwaffe-Transport-Units-1937-1943-Transporter/dp/1903223636/ref=sr_1_2/203-1787429-1675162?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186224240&sr=1-2

It's the first part of Luftwaffe Transport Units series. You'll find there a picture of an authentic German colour scheme, different squadron badges, and lots of black and white pictures and history of the aircraft. If you carefully look at the background of my Ju 52/3m's cockpit picture, you'll see copied scheme (I've coloured it with crayons to make it easier to me). All dimensions are given in millimetres. You only need to scale them down to your model. Colours are given in RLM German standard.

However, if you don't want to buy the book, just give me your e-mail and I'll send you a scan.

Thank you Alan, just wait till I make springs under driver's seat. That'll be fun!

See you guys after weekend!

Marudek

G

Gaz

Nice job!!

You said that the bikes are from Hat, are they from the armourfast range?

The armourfast range is mainly for wargaming, I've just got the 1/72nd scale Sherman firefly kit and it's only got 34 parts....and that makes 2 tanks!

First Name
Peter
Hi Gaz!

Yes. The bike comes from the Armourfast range. But I bought it in online model (not wargaming) shop. That's why I didn’t expect it. Anyway my next motorcycles in 1:72 (there's going to be more) will be based on larger scale equivalents.

Regards,

Marudek

First Name
Peter
Hi!

Here is what I’ve done over the weekend: painted frame, finished wheels, started working on motor and finished passenger seat.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Marudek

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely superb, I still can't believe I am looking at 1/72nd bits here!

Have a look at my 1/6th scale Zundap in the gallery for ideas for the bike but from what I can see so far you don't need much help with ideas.

First Name
Peter
Hi Richard!

I've already seen your gallery. I must admit there's something to look at! That's a big WOW. Have you got any more military bikes? I really like the mud - it looks so real!

The latest issue of FineScale Modeler gives a nice article on ITALERI 1/9 Harley Davidson (maybe next one to scale down to 1:72 8) )

Regards,

Marudek

First Name
Peter
Hi!

I really like this little project. I have made some progress and would like to share: the back seat is now assembled; I also added front fender, made the front light and handlebars. I made the front light from an old sprue remains. I had a bigger one before but I thought it would be too large. But after I glued the smaller one I found it too small! At the end I swaped it with the old one and think it looks better this way.

Regards,

Marudek

First Name
Peter
Hello!

Yesterday I realised painting scheme I used for the motorcycle does not match the aircraft’s scheme. I followed the box art and painted it dark grey like for European theatre and the airplane for Balkans/North Africa. I should have painted this bike desert scheme.

I think I won’t place this bike in my Ju 52/3m cargo bay. Instead I’ll give it a little display case and have it on my desk at work. The aircraft will get BMW R75 with sidecar. I’ll buy ITALERI 1/35 kit and rescale it to 1/72.

Anyway, the bike is almost finished:

It seems I need to work on my painting. I simply use too thick paint. As a result I stuffed driver seat springs with paint (picture 1) and had to make new springs (picture 2). What do you think?

Regards,

Marudek

B

backonthecase

This is excellent Marudek. The level of detail wouldn't look out of place on a 1:35 bike!!!! AMAZING!!!

First Name
Peter
Hi backonthecase!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it, but when I look at it I see mistakes only. Look at the driver's seat: should be flat but is glued to tank too high (if I was in 1/72 scale I wouldn't like to sit on it). I will have to correct it. The paint (applied with brush) is so thick it looks I didn't use any glue only paint to put it together. Unfortunately I saw this after I took this macro photos.

Anyway I have to finish this one and hope the next one will be better. I'm thinking to make some resin moulds of the next one and copy it.

Regards,

Marudek

B

Bunkerbarge

Marudek, don't beat yourself up, it's still a vast improvement on the one you bought as a kit!!

As for painting things at this scale I would definately recomend acrylics as they dry to a very thin finish and don't cover up detail. Tamiya is as good as any but there are other makes just as good, it just depends on which is most easily accessible for you.

First Name
Peter
Hi!

I know it is much better comparing it to the kit (see pictures below) but I want it even better and I’m sure the next one will be. I didn’t use Tamiya. I used Valleyo and Citadel (which are acrylics). See, the problem is I’ve applied two thick coats. I should have thinned the paint with water and lay some four layers.

Anyway here are the pictures of the kit and my Zundapp in the background and pictures of kit I found on the net:

That’s my bike!

Regards,

Marudek