Zenithal highlighting

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
One for those in the know. This is another Star Wars Legion model I’ve aquired to add to my growing gang. I undercoated it in black then a grey from sort of 45 degrees then white from above. I like this look but now need to block in the colours, basically what’s the next process so I don’t just obliterate this?
DF963AAA-04C4-49B0-A6E9-E60E456BEB4C.jpeg26CEAA8A-50E7-4BFE-ACFE-D76D1B575165.jpeg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm far from practiced in this lol but there seems to be 2 main theories.

One is to use transparent paints / glazes to allow the gradient to show through.

Others seem to just use the zenithal as a reference so they can see the detail and then know where regular highlights will go later on, and don't worry about obliterating it.

I still suck at the first, and my memory isn't good enough for the second, so I just wing it :smiling5:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I'm far from practiced in this lol but there seems to be 2 main theories.

One is to use transparent paints / glazes to allow the gradient to show through.

Others seem to just use the zenithal as a reference so they can see the detail and then know where regular highlights will go later on, and don't worry about obliterating it.

I still suck at the first, and my memory isn't good enough for the second, so I just wing it :smiling5:
Thanks Andy, winging it usually works for me

barrybarfly

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What Andy said really. You can also emphasize bits of the Zenithal with dry-brushing or edge highlighting in white if you want to. Then use contrast/speedpaints or thinned paints to build up colours while keeping the Zenithal effect.

If you want to remember where the Zenithal was then do what you did.......take a photo!

You can also Zenithal from any angle. Not just the standard version. So you could simply highlight the top 3rd from the left side as if it's been caught in a light and make the transition to shadow harder/softer to reflect the type of light (moonlight or torch for example). So you can adapt it to either serve a purpose or, if wanted, to leave an annoying hard to access area in shadow so you don't have to worry about it but can still attempt the rest of the model!