Zimmerit coating

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I will be shortly starting my big tiger I am just wondering what to use for zimmerit as I the tools included in the kit any help would be most appreciated

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like to use a thin layer of putty (from a tube) textured with a saw blade. Work on small areas at a time, because the putty is likely to dry before you get to the end on larger areas, like a hull side.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I used to use Tamiya two part putty.........little longer working life and went on real smooth. Haven't seen it for years, does anyone know if they still make it? Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter

Have a look at nightshift on Youtube. He does a excellent video on zimm and its on a Tiger

Bob
Somehow missed that one Bob. That is THE best technique I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I used to use Tamiya two part putty.........little longer working life and went on real smooth. Haven't seen it for years, does anyone know if they still make it? Rick H.
Hi Rick

Night Shift uses it for his Tiger. The build is only a year old so should still be available.

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
A quick question on the zimmerit that was applied to King Tigers,
Would the 'zim' have been applied before or after the 'schurzen' were fitted ?

(I'm currently building a King Tiger that has some of the shurzen removed, and cannot work out if I need to remove the pre-moulded zim to represent steel plate underneath them.)

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Zimmerit would be applied “around” everything that’s removable, sheet metal, protrudes, etc. This includes tool brackets but also the side skirts: if you remove one, there should not be Zimmerit underneath.