Ziper's 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks Colin,

Still lot to do, as the injection tubing has to be redone.

I'm still thinking how to progress with painting. The engine should be painted all black, but this would fade many details. 8i could play with chipping but only on the top. The bottom part either I leave it in alu or go with a heavy dry brush. Let's see...

Francesco

Last edited:
Z

Ziper_it

Thanks Ian and Joe, it's always nice reading you.

I'm still working on the turbo charger, there are a lot of details but unfortunately it is not easy to "decode" them from the pics I have. This forced me to do a lot of guess and assumptions, hope I'm not making too many mistakes.

This is how the the kit one was

View attachment 101058

After some cutting, putty, cyano, plasticard, sprue pieces, gluing and sanding now it looks like this

View attachment 101057

Assembled should look like this.

View attachment 101052

Cables and levers still missing.

Other details added:

View attachment 101060

View attachment 101061

Hope you like it.

View attachment 101059

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You're going all out on this Francesco, it would almost be a shame to enclose that beautiful Merlin inside the model cowls.

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you mates.

No updates for this week as I'm traveling between Nuremberg (2 weeks after the toy fair :sad: )and Munich.

There should be nice hobby shop close to here, I will see if I can get decals and PE for my cockpit (and THE FA-18, Fw190, P47...)

Francesco

Z

Ziper_it

Hello,

So I almost completed the charger and started to think how to paint the engine. Original plan was to paint the top black and the bottom aluminum, as the one I'm using as a reference. However, considering that the engine was always painted black, I decided to give it a try but removing some paint here and there to break the monotonous black and highlight some details. Here is the result (dry fit) ...

View attachment 102081

This finishing doesn't really convince me. While I have a photo where the top cover is heavily chipped, I don't think that the rest should be so. I could try to remove almost all the black from the bottom but I think it would be unrealistic too. What do you think?

The good thing is that I tried the hair spray technique for the first time and it worked a charme :smiling3:

Francesco

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That worked charm; I'd leave it as it is Francesco, it looks pretty realistic to me in those photos.

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks Joe,

I'm working on other small bits so I have time to look at it and decide.

However, though the chipping is very sparkling and evident I will problanly leave it as it is after your comment (where are the other fellows?) and these two pictures I've found. Not before giving it a heavy black wash.

View attachment 102431

View attachment 102432

Thanks,

Francesco

image.jpg

image.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm with Joe. If that was my engine, I would say it was finished.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is one hell of a merlin you have built there!

First Name
Dave
May I ask how you painted the exhausts.They look amazing.I don't know how to get such a realistic effect.I paint them 'Steel' and them dry brush with 'Rust'.But I'm not happy with the results I get.How do you do it Francesco?.