Zoukei Mura Hs129B-2/ RIII, 1/32 scale.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have added firewalls and the wing tops. Everything fitted really well and only a small drop of fuller needed near the wing root. The join sanded easily and there is no need for Mr Dissolved Putty to be run down the join and there are not many kits you can say that for!

I have also started to add the armour around the cockpit. Some reviews suggest some fit issues here but so far I have had no problems. I suspect that the secret is to allow some play and to take it very slowly.

E4796BDE-D500-4B72-AB55-5224F9653E4E.jpeg

0CB0E5FC-F6A8-470B-8ADC-EDC34A1B2428.jpeg

76559CE8-AB54-4D81-A67D-D7583C3605F1.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have fitted the rest of the panels around the nose. All fitted OK but there was a little filling and sanding needed, nothing too problematical. All done now.

I went on to fit the engines and nacelles. Again no major fit issues but some tweaking was needed and a spot of filler and sanding is necessary. Again nothing to worry about.

After a test fit I decided to blow RLM02 into the wheel wells after cementing the nacelles into place.

35930559-FDC1-46AB-AF99-8E0D46DDE8F3.jpeg

2B7F9550-F6FD-436A-A569-466000282248.jpeg

83785C63-682E-45D4-A6A5-664D4EB4A9EB.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Progress has been a bit sporadic. Most of the time I have just been able to pop in for a few minutes but it is gradually coming together really well.

As you can see I have fitted the engine cowlings and a few other bits. Fit is good, no issues. I have had to use a little filler here and there but mostly just Mr Dissolved Putty for ‘blending’, no need for the ‘heavy duty’ stuff at all.

92A7D8C8-F817-41F5-AB17-84DA27964AB0.jpeg

714A5F8C-9C9A-45CF-8607-51122051FF56.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Looking good. A bit special I imagine with it being the first model made in the new room.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I had a little more time than usual at the bench today so I have made a fair bit more progress.

You can see that I decided to use a slightly ‘heavier’ filler on the underside of the engine covers to treat the seams while sticking with MDP for the top. I will sand them tomorrow.

I have also started attaching some panels and here I found the first fit issues. I suspect it was my fault with something out of alignment earlier. It is not serious and will be resolved with a little filler and sanding. I have also prepped a few more subs.

52BD4E33-6C1B-4018-81A1-BA1C19FB544B.jpegAE72DDB4-8BDA-4F0E-BDE3-FD1208CDB378.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Impressive and inspiring.
Thanks to this build and ZM attention to details that allows to appreciate its structure, its armored cockpit and armament, I dare say the Hs129 is the A10 granddad or "the grand-warthog":smiling4:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I dare say the Hs129 is the A10 granddad or "the grand-warthog":smiling4:
Wouldn’t the Il-2 have an even better claim to that, though?

Hmm … it seems the Hs 129 flew a few months earlier than the Il-2 did, but was introduced into service about a year later. So both have about equal claims, I guess :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would say the Stuka trumps them both as an earlier dedicated tactical ground attack aircraft…..HS 123 looks great though.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Wouldn’t the Il-2 have an even better claim to that, though?

Hmm … it seems the Hs 129 flew a few months earlier than the Il-2 did, but was introduced into service about a year later. So both have about equal claims, I guess :smiling3:

My statement about the lineage linking the Hs129 and the A10 is based mainly on the similar structure of the two a/c: forward and armoured cockpit, main gun in central, forward and underbelly position, twin engine and a sturdy structure. The Henschel and Fairchild disegners, in my view, had an almost identical "philosophical" approach to the anti-tank aircraft problem.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah, yes, OK, in that sense the A-10 is closer to the Hs 129 than to the Il-2, yes. I was thinking more along the lines of “heavily armoured aircraft for ground support”.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sorry about not posting for a while. I have just been grabbing a few minutes at the bench at a time. How on earth did I find time for this when I worked!

Anyway the main construction is now finished and all in all it went really well with no significant issues. The fuselage panels could have fitted better but, I expect, it was more me than the kit.

She is now in her sexy black undies, OK perhaps the HS129 is not so much channelling Marilyn Monroe in her skimpies, more Mrs Doubtfire perhaps but it’s all relative….

Why black primer, does it not go against received wisdom of dark over light colours? This is because I prefer to use the black basing technique over pre-shading. I find it easier, more effective and quicker. For those who don’t know, you want the black to darken areas of the top coat for modulating the colour by concentrating more colour in areas where you want it. It creates a more varied and realistic look bringing light and shade to the appearance. This can be backed up with some additional post shading with areas of lighter colour to replicate, perhaps, sun bleaching.

Ahhhhh

I cannot post my photos…

The website is saying that they are too big to upload but I have never had a problem before! Has there been a change on the website? Any ideas?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry about not posting for a while. I have just been grabbing a few minutes at the bench at a time. How on earth did I find time for this when I worked!

Anyway the main construction is now finished and all in all it went really well with no significant issues. The fuselage panels could have fitted better but, I expect, it was more me than the kit.

She is now in her sexy black undies, OK perhaps the HS129 is not so much channelling Marilyn Monroe in her skimpies, more Mrs Doubtfire perhaps but it’s all relative….

Why black primer, does it not go against received wisdom of dark over light colours? This is because I prefer to use the black basing technique over pre-shading. I find it easier, more effective and quicker. For those who don’t know, you want the black to darken areas of the top coat for modulating the colour by concentrating more colour in areas where you want it. It creates a more varied and realistic look bringing light and shade to the appearance. This can be backed up with some additional post shading with areas of lighter colour to replicate, perhaps, sun bleaching.

Ahhhhh

I cannot post my photos…

The website is saying that they are too big to upload but I have never had a problem before! Has there been a change on the website? Any ideas?
Yes there is 2MB limit for the time being. John moved the forum to a different server. You will have to resize them, which of your have an Apple device ID apparently pretty easy.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes there is 2MB limit for the time being. John moved the forum to a different server. You will have to resize them, which of your have an Apple device ID apparently pretty easy.
Ah, OK and yes I have an iPhone but ‘pretty easy’ I am not so sure about that. I have had a look and I can make all sorts of changes but not resize! I am sure there is a way but I cannot find it!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ah, OK and yes I have an iPhone but ‘pretty easy’ I am not so sure about that. I have had a look and I can make all sorts of changes but not resize! I am sure there is a way but I cannot find it!
HI Barry
When you select the photo to upload you can change the size of it by tapping the letters (where it says something like “actual size”) at the bottom. Just pick one option that is less than 2mb.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you choose large size in the iPhone/iPad photo selection thingie, they’ll be big enough in pixels that the forum will reduce them in size, but should not be so large in bytes that it will refuse them.