Zvezda 1/144 Beriev Be-200ES Jet Amphibian

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As I'm waiting for paint to dry on my T-90MS, I've been deciding what to build next. I've decided on another Zvezda model:
DSCF2151.JPG
One of the few jet flying boats ( and amphibian ) used as a fire bomber, and emergency response unit.
Sprue shots
DSCF2146.JPGDSCF2145.JPGDSCF2144.JPGDSCF2150.JPG
All look very crisp, with fine detail, although how visible panel lines would be in 1/144 is debatable!
Decals
DSCF2149.JPG
Two marking options - one military - the other 'civilian'
DSCF2148.JPGDSCF2147.JPG
I reckon the civilian version looks better!
It's only a comparatively simple model - 60 parts - the main challenge will masking.
Construction will start shortly
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting subject Dave. Have fun with it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks interesting, and a type of plane you don’t really see anywhere outside Russia.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That looks interesting, and a type of plane you don’t really see anywhere outside Russia.
One has been fighting wildfires in Greece ( August 2021 ), and they have been used in Turkey, Spain & Portugal
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I meant that as “being manufactured” outside Russia :smiling3: This type of plane really only comes from there, as far as I know,

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off we go.............
Unlike a lot of 1/144 aircraft, this does have transparencies for the side windows - I painted the back side of them black, then primed & basecoated the area around the windows white.................
DSCF2162.JPG
I added the windows & I'll put a mask over the outside, to protect them, as there is a bit of masking needed near them. The engine pods & wings assembled - perfect fit, just a little TET run into the joints. Cockpit assembled - although you won't see much. Needs 10g of weight adding, but plenty of room!
DSCF2163.JPG
I'm going to work out when I have to start masking - the paint masking has to follow the decal cheat lines, so it'll need a bit of careful laying out & measuring.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start Dave. Looks like it could be a fairly quick build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just about ready to start the painting process.....................
DSCF2164.JPG
I'll stuff the wheel wells & cockpit with tissue - those areas can wait, until after decals are applied ( the main gear legs are close to the side of the fuselage ). The wings will be sprayed separate from the fuselage - I want to mask the fuselage for white/grey/blue & they'd just get in the way. The joint looks very good, so shouldn't be a problem joining the two together. The same goes for the engine pods. although, I'll brush paint those - too small/tricky to mask. Just used a smear of filler on the nose, but that will be it I think, I can put the tube away.
Going well - the real test will be how the decals handle & fit................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would say that the Be200 falls into the category 'too big in 1/72' & 'too small for 1/144' It's a simple model - 10 of the 60 parts are the control surface actuator covers! It also means that you can't misalign any of the parts.
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work dave , so how big is it ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Taking a lot more light coats of white to get a good finish than I anticipated
DSCF2176.JPG
All the big bits dry fitted - the paint does need scraping away from the mating surfaces, the joints are that tight!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very nice indeed Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The fuselage was masked up & the grey, then the blue added. The line between the white & the grey will be covered by a decal..................
DSCF2196.JPG
A few bits to touch up, then an overall pre-decal gloss varnish coat. I may add the long fuselage decals before finally adding the wings - easier handling, with what may be a fiddly operation
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
As has been said it's smaller than I imagined. Looks good. I think your plan to put the decal along the fuselage before fitting the wings makes a lot of sense.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave. Although that strikes me a pretty long decal you'll have to lay down.....

ATB.

Andrew