Zvezda 1/35 BMW R12 Motorbike/Sidecar - a small build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see what I'm letting my self in for building a motor bike combo.
Liking the saddlecolours, worn looking :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rider lower legs assembled, painted & added to the bike - it is much easier without the sidecar and the rest of the body. DSCF1335.JPG
I realised that I had added the wrong handlebars! The ones I should have used had hands moulded onto them - a quick cut with a scalpel -DSCF1336.JPG now there are a pair of disembodied hands waiting for the rest of the body.
It's little touches like that that show that someone at Zvezda really thinks about their models :thumb2:
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Great the rider fits. I do like the hands moulded onto the grips.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely Dave, pre-fitted hands is a great idea from Zvezda.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Been neglecting this one......................
DSCF1339.JPGDSCF1340.JPG
Assembling the figures on the bike is a bit tricky, but I think easier than trying to add completed figures to the model. - The poor passenger had to have his feet amputated, so he would easily slide into the sidecar, but not visible now!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Been neglecting this one......................
View attachment 412137View attachment 412138
Assembling the figures on the bike is a bit tricky, but I think easier than trying to add completed figures to the model. - The poor passenger had to have his feet amputated, so he would easily slide into the sidecar, but not visible now!
Dave
Looking very good Dave.

I've had to perform amputations on the last two British 1/72 Airfix pilots I've had. Interestingly the Luftwaffe pilot had plenty of room in his 109 for some reason. You think it would be easy enough to get the dimensions right.

Are you going to put this on some sort of base?

All the best.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm toying with the idea of using this:
DSCF1341.JPG
I'd dropped the full base & shattered it - this was the half that looked useable -a bit of a crop & a tidy up, and I think it would be OK.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sadly this one has been terminated by a fatal crash I managed to drop it - then finished it off by treading on it! I thought at first I'd got away with it, but nope - more broken parts than intact! Oh well, I can blame that on my stiff wrist & fingers. I still have a Russian motorbike and mortar sidecar in the stash, so I still have a chance to finish one!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's a shame Dave, it was coming along well. :disappointed2:
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know that feeling well......along with the one where you manage to get the brush tip into that awkward place and then your wrist or finger binds and you splodge paint right where you don’t want it....

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Aging hands & arthritis means that holding onto things ain't as secure as it used to be!
Dave
Bad news Dace, been there, done that, I dropped my F1 car then slipped getting off the stool and stood on it making it a write-off.

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A warning not to have too models on the bench at the same time! I've got the Holland Submarine, the Delage, and I had the BMW on the go at the same time, I have to move things around to work on them & it just slipped from my fingers - I have a bit more room now!
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Must admit that that kit is far 'better' than the Tamiya R75 & side car (which I've just started) one is - at least it has the sidecar vertical support struts (without which in 'real' life the bike meets the sidecar!) and the front & rear wheels aren't moulded into the frame/mudguards, plus the figures look a lot better. Far better 'detailing' overall, as well.
Shame about it's demise.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Must admit that that kit is far 'better' than the Tamiya R75 & side car (which I've just started) one is - at least it has the sidecar vertical support struts (without which in 'real' life the bike meets the sidecar!) and the front & rear wheels aren't moulded into the frame/mudguards, plus the figures look a lot better. Far better 'detailing' overall, as well.
Shame about it's demise.
Gerry,
It happens - I find that I do drop things a lot more than I used to. - I've been kept away from the bench the last few days with the arthritis in my wrist, and trying to do anything with only my weak hand is a bit of a puzzle at times. I do have the Zvezda Russian Motorbike & mortar sidecar in the stash, which is very similar in build & detail, so at least that's in the build list!
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
It happens - I find that I do drop things a lot more than I used to. - I've been kept away from the bench the last few days with the arthritis in my wrist, and trying to do anything with only my weak hand is a bit of a puzzle at times. I do have the Zvezda Russian Motorbike & mortar sidecar in the stash, which is very similar in build & detail, so at least that's in the build list!
Dave
Dave, I'm 'lucky' in that my arthritis is in my shoulders (any heavy lifting/pulling gives me gyp) but hasn't spread any further - so far!
I do use a cheapy opti-visor thing - bought it to work with watches, and it goes up to a max of 3.5x - for modelling, I find that 2.5x is OK.