• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Mike, a good few tips there.

Paul, I think I saw your bench in the "show your workspace" thread and spent a while wondering what it was on the front. Once I'd worked it out it seemed like a cracking idea, although knowing me I'd forget and try to get up and walk off while still attached!
Andy, I took Paul advice and put one one the edge of the worktop in the cave, more that once I have ripped it off the Velcro when moving the chair to get something. Dave Ward I think said he had pulled his table over when answering the door bell.
My that light is a price, but no doubt worth that to get a perfect match. Not going to get one this week :smiling::smiling:

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, yep, I'm sure I'd do something similar John.

And yes, that's ridiculous money for a posh torch but even if it saves us repainting a couple of jobs it would pay for itself.

D

Deleted member 7181

Haven't got much done to this as I was trying out some weathering. Some of it worked, some didn't.

Firstly I put a black wash over the panel lines to bring out some detail, which was fairly successful. I then tried adding splashes of clay coloured mud, that didn't look so great! Turned out looking a bit pink :flushed: so I waited until today when I could nip to a craft store and get an oil paint starter set. I used that to add a dark brown wash underneath and to me it doesn't look too bad now. It's toned down the pink a bit and made it look nice and dirty underneath.

My first real attempt at this kind of thing so feel free to let me know how you think I'm getting on. Plenty more to do but it's a start.

1KeI6Z6.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and whilst hunting around the floor for something else I found the missing guard rail that should be fitted between the front wheels (note the two holes). I thought it was long gone but now I can fit that too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Well the build may have had it's difficulties but you got there and that's a cracking paint job. Weathering is looking spot on.
As for wire. If you pass one of those green telephone boxes there is often bits of wire which the service men leave laying around. Strip of the plastic cover and the wire inside is good to use for handles etc.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim. I've still got the sides and top to do but wanted to practice on the less seen underside first. Good to hear it seems to have worked.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I usually test out washes etc. on the bottom of the hull of tanks and similar vehicles, for exactly the reason you gave: it won’t be visible much or at all :smiling3: Yours seems to have worked well, the underside looks good.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The joys of weathering is a good road to go down. Nice to see you using oils. Best way to learn is by practicing. Looking good so far

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy
Well the build may have had it's difficulties but you got there and that's a cracking paint job. Weathering is looking spot on.
As for wire. If you pass one of those green telephone boxes there is often bits of wire which the service men leave laying around. Strip of the plastic cover and the wire inside is good to use for handles etc.
Jim
I do exactly the same it's a good free source.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Keep going Andy the build is progressing very well. Do not worry about posting updates and getting things done, grass now up to the bedroom windows, one child lost in the back garden, mail nailed to the front gate, all been there.
As for the wire, asked my local bt guy if he had any spare wire - the fact that he was belly down on the ground with his head and shoulders in a hole, the dog decided to give him a further push (left to your imagination), and can someone please explain what "what do you think all this is - spaghetti - grumph off" means.....
Mike.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mike, I'm currently on a short camping trip so the build is on hold for a few days. Funny how my wife allowed first born to bring his warhammer figures and paint but wasn't too keen on me throwing the airbrush compressor and associated gubbins in the roof box :smiling5:

Speaking of my better half, she would be a great source of free wire since she works for an electrical testing & safety company, but since they mostly do large factories much of it would be as thick as my finger, if not arm!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Strip it :smiling3: (The wire, that is …) Okay, the stuff your wife works with might need serious tools, but there’s a lot of good, thin wire to be found in common electrical cables. Just cut one off an old appliance that you’re throwing out and you’ll have plenty of very thin copper wire for free.

D

Deleted member 7181

Gave this an all over brown/black oil wash.

Fairly pleased for my first attempt. I kept knocking bits off while cleaning it up so had the superglue on standby. Also found it hard to get into many places, I even wrapped paper towel around a toothpick for some bits. I definitely see a need for some really small cotton buds now. I use plenty of cheap regular ones but I think there are certain jobs that would be much easier if I had a few posh ones on hand.

The pictures have shown up a few areas that need a bit more fettling, but like I say, I'm pleased for my first real go at this. The wash has also darkened the rather pink looking mud splashes to a more realistic colour.

Ky69C1N.jpg

yG0IJ1p.jpg

PVisCvj.jpg

Not far away from finished now. Some detail painting to do and the wheels to fit and it's about there.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. After millions of hours of research, watching videos and studying other peoples builds, at least I had an idea what it should look like. That gave me a fighting chance at a decent result :smiling5:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A terrific result Andy. You have every right to be pleased. You might like to try some cone shaped foam buds. They are ideal for getting in those tight tucked away areas. Keep up the great work

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, I just can't seem to get enough of modelling at the minute, I'm already on the hunt for my next one (or two) but there's a bewildering choice! Trying not to rush through like I did with my first few though and I'm finding it more rewarding that way.

I've put some small triangular Tamiya buds on my wishlist, They look like they'll do the trick.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Gave this an all over brown/black oil wash.

Fairly pleased for my first attempt. I kept knocking bits off while cleaning it up so had the superglue on standby.
What did you use for a wash? Twenty years or so ago, I had a lot of trouble with small parts coming loose off models after I put a wash over them, and I eventually traced this to the type of thinner I had used to make the washes from enamel paint. It turned out this weakened the glued joints, not enough that large pieces came off, but hand rails, mirrors, grab handles, all that sort of thing with small contact areas did. The problem went away when I switched to a different type of thinner — let alone when I began to prefer washes made from acrylic paint plus water, of course :smiling3:

Also found it hard to get into many places
You didn’t just use a big brush to apply the wash and poke at the difficult spots until the wash got in there too? That’s what I do, anyway :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

You didn’t just use a big brush to apply the wash and poke at the difficult spots until the wash got in there too? That’s what I do, anyway :smiling3:

Haha, yes, pretty much.

The issues all came later, after it was touch dry and I started to clean up the excess. I'd either poke a bit hard with a cotton bud to get in a gap, or catch something with my paper towel, knocking stuff flying.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That look really good Andy!
It shows that a few washes/filters can really lift the overall finish and it takes away that ‘toy’ like appearance that we often see on a plain paint job.
Nicely executed, Well done mate :thumb2: