Zvezda 1/35 BTR-80

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here is an example of a very small swab available at YLHS or on-line , cheap for a bunch. Shown next to 1/35 fig. for scale. Once swab is unuseable, snip off the tip and it makes a slick CA applicator. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the great comments guys, and that looks ideal Paul, will have a look round for those.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Here is an example of a very small swab available at YLHS or on-line , cheap for a bunch. Shown next to 1/35 fig. for scale. Once swab is unuseable, snip off the tip and it makes a slick CA applicator. PaulE
View attachment 343797

What's a 1:35 figure doing on your bench Paul!!:astonished::astonished: Are you feeling okay? Is there something you need to tell us?:smiling5:

• Love
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What's a 1:35 figure doing on your bench Paul!!:astonished::astonished: Are you feeling okay? Is there something you need to tell us?:smiling5:
It’s clearly part of his application for the cluttered workbench club.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
1/35 Fig. from my eldest son's modeling efforts in the 70s. I believe Dzohn has bestowed an honorary lifetime membership on me as I was a charter member and qualified even after a tidy-up. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John, I can't ask for a better compliment than that!

I do remember starting a kit as a youngster, but after ruining mum's dining table with the glue I never finished it and was never encouraged to try another.

Trains were deemed safer as they were already built lol, and my brother and I had quite a decent layout which I enjoyed adding scenery and buildings to, but never really got back to the model kits.

Now I realise what I've been missing out on for all these years I'm trying to make up for lost time.

I may soon have a diversion as my son is asking me to build some Warhammer vehicles to go with the figures he paints, but I'm sure I'll find a section on here to post build pictures if there's any interest in such things.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I may soon have a diversion as my son is asking me to build some Warhammer vehicles to go with the figures he paints
It’s the same hobby, just with chunkier parts and more expensive kits :smiling3:

I'm sure I'll find a section on here to post build pictures if there's any interest in such things.
There’s the Sci-fiction and Sci-Fact section, I intend to use that when I get round to posting about some of the 40K conversions I made over the years.

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, I was surprised at the price of them!

It would be interesting to see some of your conversions as I thought about that as a more cost effective option. Buy some cheap military vehicle kits and add stuff on. What would be the nearest scale if I went down that route?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t think military vehicle kits fit well with 40K stuff, at least not if we’re talking about complete ones. You can convert 1/35 scale vehicles to fit in, but that’s quite a bit of work. The problem is mainly that GW’s vehicle designs are very unrealistic for the most part, whereas kits of real vehicles obviously are realistic. Someone I used to know did it completely differently: he built copies of GW vehicles from thin card and styrofoam, so well that even the local game store owner (who banned all non-GW models from being used in GW games in his shop) thought they were the real thing. Until he was told to pick one up :smiling3:

However, 1/35 scale parts can work well on figures: I turned Imperial Guard (nowadays “Astra Militarum”) into Waffen-SS-like troops using mainly Tamiya 1/35 scale figure accessories, for example: helmets in this scale fit well onto GW heads, for instance, and ammo pouches, canteens, etc. fit right in too. Weapons, on the other hand, appear far too thin.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I really enjoyed your build coming together Andy. Looks like you had a lot of fun and learnt a lot. I will pop over and have a look at the finished piece. Well done mate.