Zvezda 1/35 BTR-80

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

From my build topic here, it's now finished

When I get some more weathering practice and products I may do more work on it but it's as far as I can take it right now. Getting the wheels straight was a challenge as I already knew the suspension wasn't perfectly lined up, but using Jakko's tip of starting with the 4 corner wheels then adding the middle ones worked pretty well. I managed to snap off yet another grab handle during these shots so had the superglue out again! Antenna also got broken off at some stage so I've used a bit of wire instead.

No decals (which is probably a good thing given how bad I am with them :smiling5: ) but again, may add some later. I'm also aware that the gun is aiming far too high to be realistic, but that would required major surgery to rectify so it'll have to do.

sMHgNWW.jpg

x1bsm3L.jpg

is8R4cg.jpg

RjVKSKv.jpg

2gnEWGy.jpg

vSMQSR5.jpg

GjsHgTc.jpg

Thanks again for all the help, advice and great comments in the build thread. I've broken my duck on wheely things so who knows, I may even try something with tracks soon :flushed:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ralph.

I still have much to learn but like to think I'm getting a little better each time :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim & Steve.

As long as I keep learning something with each model and it turns out a bit better than the previous one, I'll be happy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy.
Yes Paul is quite correct, but what he's been " at " is another subject ! :flushed::surprised:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks fellas. Good to hear I'm heading in the right direction.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When I get some more weathering practice and products I may do more work on it but it's as far as I can take it right now.
Looks very good, and as has been said before, you’d never say this is one of your first models if you didn’t know already. It’s a little glossy for my taste, but maybe it’s wet from rain :smiling3:

I'm also aware that the gun is aiming far too high to be realistic, but that would required major surgery to rectify so it'll have to do.
On the real thing, it elevates to +60°, so it doesn’t look like you got it wrong on your model (on the BTR-60PB and 70 it could only go to +30°, though).

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko. And cheers for the info, not such a mistake after all then :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A fantastic model Andy. You certainly are a natural at this modelling lark. Terrific stuff. Onwards and upwards with the next model

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Nice finish Andy - hope mine looks as good if I ever finish it

One minor point - shovel head (and hand axe head below) normally painted black rather than bare metal - must have been digging a lot :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Fernando, Steve & Simon.

I guess it makes sense that the tools were black, a shiny metal blade glinting in the sun kind of ruins the camouflage effect :smiling2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have a couple of garden spades that once were black, but after use they are a rusty/muddy colour, just the cutting edge showing a bit of bright metal.
Pete

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
Apart from the minor points already shown, there is one big issue - what's next.....
Cheers, Mike.

D

Deleted member 7181

Well Mike I'm in the closing stages of my little 8x8 truck so between the gradual weathering process I'll be making a start on a 1/72 Mi-24P Hind helicopter.