Zvezda 1/35 Gaz M1

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I finally added the details to the underside - a lot of tiny parts the steering arms were a real exercise in tweezer manipulation, and trial by dry fitting - the instructions aren't that clear.
I gave everything an overall coat of black, then after a couple of hours, first light coat of Gloss varnish on the upperworks - not a brilliant idea, as the temperature has hit 30C & had to thin the varnish quite a lot to work - hopefully, it'll be cooler tomorrow morning for a second/third coat.
DSCF0808.JPGDSCF0809.JPG

When you finally work out where the bits fit, it's easy (not ) - as I've said before not a model fot the beginner, 180 odd parts crammed into a car 100mm long! I'll brush paint the seats, floor etc next.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Got another two coats of gloss varnish on & that will be OK - I'll have to add another after adding the pinstripe decals, so that will be glossy enough
DSCF0821.JPG
I've been using AK True Metal for the bumper & hubcaps - looks fairly chromish.........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a long lazy weekend ( don't know why the weekend should be different, being retired every day is the same! ) The M1 is coming to a final assembly. I've made things a lot more difficult for myself in not following the instruction sequence, but I thought that painting would be easier this way.
DSCF0822.JPG
I've glazed the bodywork - very fiddly ( made some nasty marks on the gloss black ), now I can add the doorcards ( I CA'd the front door handles back to front - oh well, I'm not taking them off! ). There are one or two minor bits to add internally, like the sun visors & hand straps, dashboard & steering wheel, then I can finally join the body to the floor pan. The fit so far is good, if a little tight in places, and I suspect the body joining may follow that trend.
It's a bit sad that this is of a car that is virtually unknown outside of the former USSR. - I can imagine a Ford Model A, or a Rover 10 would sell very well, the detail is such that it could compete with any maker. It's not a model for a beginner, but I have had more enjoyment from this model than I have had from many others!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
It's a model which gives you a real test of your techniques, but not so difficult to kill your enthusiasm! At the end it'll be a 30's little black saloon, nothing special about it, but will have taken hours of pleasurable work to put together!
NEWS - I've just managed to pick up a second-hand ICM 1/35 1936 Packard 12 at a very nice price! A good day! :smiling2:
Dave

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Just caught up with this Dave. I love that big old six volt battery under the floor!

Nick

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was very nervous about fitting the body, complete with door cards over the seats & floor pan
DSCF0829.JPGDSCF0831.JPG
It was tricky! I had to trim about 1mm off each side of the rear seats, and it made creaking & squeaking noises, as the parts went together. It's joined now & I doubt I could get them apart without terminal damage. Downside, with a lot of handling, the gloss black finish has suffered, and will need attention! Wheels dry fitted, to see if the M1 is a tricycle, but no, it has all 4 feet on the ground.
Two shots one taken through the rear window, the other through the passengers side window
DSCF0832.JPGDSCF0833.JPG
That's about as much as can be seen, but I'm happy it's all together. I still have the bonnet and bumpers to fit & the brightwork, sidelights, headlamps etc, and a few pinstripe decals!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Bit late in - sorry. Just had a catch up. You seem to be into cars at the moment, you've bought a few. This looks nice although rather fiddly and fragile when put together. Seems to have gone together ok, well at least I haven't heard any bad language. Most instuctions seem to just tell you how to put the kit together with little thought to painting apart from colour callouts.
It looks good and being Russian I doubt a pristine, glossy finish would be appropriate :smiling:. Good luck with the pinstripe decals.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thankfully 5C cooler than the previous two days, I was able to get the pinstripes on - not easy! - long, thin decals in sections, that don't want to lie straight!, luckily they were tough enough to withstand pulling & poking - a coat of gloss varnish will settle them down.
DSCF0834.JPGDSCF0835.JPG

These will be the last pictures here - the next will be in the 'completed' section.......................
Dave