Zvezda 1/35 L4500R Maultier

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
the more modern Zvezda kits are on a par with other modern manufacturers. They are rather complicated models, and sometimes Zvezda attempt to reproduce parts to scale, which are too fragile ( for example the loading gear on the MSTA-S ). They are just beginning to use slide moulds. They don't provide PE, but they are generally detailed enough without them. I've made the MSTA-S, T-35, GAZ Tiger with Kornet, Sd.Kfz 251/3, BMPT Terminator, T-90, T-14 Armata all in 1/35. In the Stash I have the T-90MS, T34/85 & the Pantsir, so you can see I'm a bit of a fan!
Their 1/48 aircraft are also very good.................
I must stress, though that these are all more modern models, Zvezda still sell 'old mould' kits, that can be crude, and inaccurate. A search on Scalemates will highlight the later models
Dave
Thanks Dave

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Dave, Just had a catch up & it's looking good, will follow your progress.:thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Despite getting an early start, the spraying of the camo just about worked - the temperature hit 25C at 11:00, and is forecast to go as high as 30C!
DSCF0690.JPGDSCF0691.JPG
I'll need to detail paint the tyres on the roadwheels.....................
DSCF0689.JPG

And while I had air in the compressor tank, I sprayed the tracks
DSCF0688.JPG

I might call it a day today - the heat does not encourage benchtime, let alone painting ( yes, I do have retarder ). If it cools off quickly in the evening I might get a start on those tyres, but more probably watching TV with a cold drink in hand!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Despite the heat, got the roadwheels painted & added - made a start on the tracks......................
DSCF0694.JPGDSCF0695.JPG
The heat however finally stopped me! I noticed, too, that the glue went 'off' very quickly, and I had to reapply several times, as bits fell off!
The front wheels are just dry fitted, they stop the chassis from sitting on its nose................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No benchtime, I'm afraid - last year, I managed to fall & hurt my right wrist - I haven't fallen, but I've wrenched the same wrist, it's swollen & has stiffened up, making me one-handed at the moment! Ever tried opening a can, with a tin opener, using one hand?
Amazing, lost my enthusiasm, found it again, now, even if I want to I'm hampered from my bench!!!!
Sitting with an ice pack on my wrist ( frozen garden peas ), prowling on ebay................
I've had a bit of a spending spree, I've bought 3 X ICM 1/35 Opel Staff cars, Kadett, Kapitan & Admiral Cabriolet all at a good discount......
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a bit of a bugger Dave.....hope it gets better soon. Take plenty of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol to reduce the pain and swelling....in the interim, plan the next victim after this one....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ibuprofen is my particular sanctuary - never been keen on paracetamol.
I've probably now got frostbite from the icepack, so the peas go back into the freezer.
Lined up? Well, I've got the Defiant lined up for the BoB GB on the 10th, less than two weeks to go, so hopefully I'll get the Maultier finished before then
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent, good to know because I like the defiant...
Paracetamol are rubbish at pain killing, but are very good at reducing inflammation So combined with Ibuprofen they are excelent at promoting recovery.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For some reason, Paracetamol seems to give me vivid dreams - not exactly nightmares, but unsettling, so I steer clear of it!
The Airfix 1/48 Defiant looks to be pretty good - I made a Classic Airframes model of it last century - a short run kit, resin bits, vacform canopies, and no locating pins - I seem to remember sanding the wings paper thin, to fit the resin undercarriage bays. None of that with the Airfix model
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry to hear about your injury Dave, hope it settles down soon as the model was coming along so well.

Andy.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Hope the pain subsides before you spend too much Dave!

You need to keep the frozen peas down to 20 minute sessions. I take amitriptyline for nerve damage to a hip and that gives me some pretty interesting dreams at times, but better that than doing laps of the bedroom in the middle of the night trying to ease it off.

Looking forward to the Defiant, I've got one of those too.

All the best.

Nick.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I actually managed to get something done - OK, it's only priming parts on the sprue, but better than sitting doing nothing to the model! The cab will probably the next assembly, the tiny parts for final assembly of the tracks will have to wait until I have full use of both hands................
I can detail paint, as long as I use a small brush, but I have to transfer the brush to my left hand, to load it with paint! Priming, I can manage with my left hand, just sloshing paint on with a big flat brush!
Dave

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Get well soon Dave, at least you're able to do some work on the model, progress is progress.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wrist a lot better today, just stiff, and only hurts if I try to move it too much. I've been able to assemble the cab, so there is progress - just a bit, but hopefully I'll be back to complete dexterity in the next few days
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally back to the bench, although the track links will have to wait a day or two
DSCF0697.JPG
Inside of the cab. suitably grubbied up. No decals provided for instruments, so odd ones added from the spares box. Windows fit from the inside, so they have to be fitted before assembly
DSCF0698.JPG
A bit of a fragile assembly - I'll have to leave this overnight before cleaning up the joins It would be stronger, if I glued the doors on, but I have to leave the drivers' side off, to allow me to fit the steering wheel ( the complete steering column is part of the chassis ).
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Glad to see you back on the mend Dave :thumb2: , spring or autumn mud in the cab?