Zvezda 1/35 M-72 Motorbike Combo with Mortar

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having completed the Dragon M4 Mortar Carrier, by association, I picked out this:
DSCF3259.JPG
This dates to 2012 the original was just a motorbike & sidecar. The M-72 was based on a BMW, so the models are available in Soviet or German variants...............
Sprue shots
DSCF3249.JPGDSCF3253.JPGDSCF3262.JPG The sprues are crisp & flash free - a lot of tiny parts!
Instructions- b&w line diagrams, look clear
DSCF3260.JPGDSCF3261.JPG
You can build it in 2 versions - I'm going for version 2

A few detail shots
DSCF3250.JPGDSCF3251.JPGDSCF3252.JPGDSCF3254.JPGDSCF3255.JPGDSCF3256.JPGDSCF3257.JPG
DSCF3258.JPG
This is in 1/35, so I reckon there's enough detail! The only thing that might improve on it is a PE fret for the wheel spokes. The figures look OK, in 'busy' poses. I've put a new blade in my scalpel & cleaned up my tweezers, so I will start this shortly.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks nice. You're right about pe spokes at this scale - they look better.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oooh…a Cossack ur(in)al…….
Should be good Dave. Kit parts look nicely detailed and crisp. Might find this page interesting as well…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a fairly involved kit. Odd there is no option to build it with the mortar and ammo stowed in the sidecar, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That looks like a fairly involved kit. Odd there is no option to build it with the mortar and ammo stowed in the sidecar, though.
The two figures are firing the mortar - if it was stowed, you'd have two surplus figures, and you'll need to source two Russian riders!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Still, it would be handy for anyone wanting the bike without figures, or in a diorama or something. Shouldn’t be too hard to cut apart the bipod so it can be stowed, of course.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK,whilst waiting for my Ferrari decals to settle, I've made a start on this. First thing I find is that there are only 2 sprues, A & B. Sprue A is separated into two parts - I spent ages looking for one part, on what I thought was the only sprue A.
Definitely a scalpel & tweezer assembly - which starts with the engine
DSCF3270.JPG
Most of the parts for the engine........................
DSCF3271.JPG
and what it makes up to - although one part has been claimed by the carpet monster ( it's first snack for several weeks! ) I'll have to try & scratch something to replace it, but it's on the sidecar side, so may not be too obvious
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice choice Dave:smiling3:
I did this a few years ago and it's a cracking little kit in my opinion,it makes for a tidy little Dio without needing too much ground work too ;)
I'll be watching your take on it with much interest :smiling3:
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Rather a neat looking engine especially given the size.
Jim

johnm93

SMF Supporter
One of those could be useful for commuting in the South East...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Definitely not to be attempted if you have shaky hands - all tweezer assembly & holding your breath!!!
DSCF3274.JPG
The instructions are bit vague in the positioning of some parts - you have to offer up bits & work out the orientation - there are locating spigots, but they are very small, and I reckon I trimmed one off cleaning up the part. I'll add a few more parts to the frame, then prime & basecoat it, as that will be tricky if I leave it until after I fit the ( now painted ) engine. Those wheel spokes are a bit overscale, but will be OK after painting & weathering ( I hope )..................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep..... Tricky little blighters aren`t they Dave:nerd:,
Paint as you go is definitely the answer for sure:thumb2:,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit more work done, but life has got in the way of the important things today!
DSCF3291.JPG
I've been looking for a base, not a diorama size, more a vignette - found one, which looks about right, been painted as a desert, but I think mud would be more appropriate
Dave