Zvezda 1/35 SA-22 Pantsir ( Greyhound ) - by popular vote!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
zvezda pantsir.jpg

The Pantsir ( Carapace ) is a self contained air defence system, it has 12 medium range AA missiles, and two 30mm cannon for close in defence. There are a number of variants - which seem to be in the type of radar fitted. The Zvezda version is the S-1, which was first into service in 2012.

There aren't that many pictures of the beast in Arctic camo, but they do exist:
white pantsir.jpg

Despite it being mounted on the 8 - wheeled KAMAZ chassis, it's off road performance isn't very good - there are tracked variants in development.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a taster of the model. 677 parts - no, I haven't counted them!
There are 9 sprues packed into the 500mm X 300mm X 90mm box along with 9 chunky vinyl tyres
DSCF1137.JPG
A double sided colour guide & a 14 A4 page instruction booklet of 88 assembly steps - of which the first 53 are for the chassis. You can complete the model in travel form, with the radar folded down, or in action position, with steadying jacks down & radar up, which is probably the option I'll do.
Actually getting the parts onto the bench - I realise how big it really is - I'll have to finish that Fokker D.VII before I can think of making a start...........
Dave

First Name
Kevin
Looks a nice kit Dave, i will be following this build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm not taking piccies of all the sprues - too many!
sprue 1.jpgsprue 2.jpgsprue 3.jpg
The Chassis is flat packed the sprues are crisp & flash free - I haven't spotted any nasty ejector pin marks yet!
The vinyl tyres are chunky & solid - not hollow - they don't have a moulding seam around the middle which is pretty impressive
DSCF1139.JPG
I'll put up some detail shots next........................................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a few details that caught my eye
DSCF1140.JPG
Missile launcher tubes
DSCF1142.JPG
Wheel Hubs
DSCF1144.JPG
Ventilation slats
DSCF1147.JPG
Engine Fan
DSCF1148.JPG
Auxiliary drive belt
DSCF1149.JPG
30mm gun barrel
DSCF1151.JPG
Hatch detail
DSCF1153.JPG
Chunky back axle
DSCF1154.JPG
Some fancy moulding on the chassis rails
DSCF1156.JPG
Mudflap
DSCF1157.JPG

Heater tubes & vents for the cab ( I think )
DSCF1158.JPG
Dashboard...................
There is a clear sprue - just flattish windows, a small decal sheet & a self adhesive foil sheet for the wing mirrors.
All in all, I think this looks very good, some of the ingates are a bit large, but nothing really bad
Proof will be in how it all goes together
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running................ construction starts with the engine - you need to study the instructions very carefully, as it's easy to get parts the wrong way round ( Yes, I did! ) - I already had one loss, a part flung itself at the carpet monster. I don't think it'll be visible on the finished model ( unless you use a dental mirror, or a borescope )
DSCF1171.JPGDSCF1172.JPG

The cab on the real thing tilts forward to allow engine access, but I haven't seen any sign in the instructions if it's possible. I'll probably give the engine an overall green, or grey finish & detail paint things like filters etc.
I've been looking at what the finish will be - I quite like the Arctic camouflage, but I'm now leaning towards the Syrian version in a desert sandy brown - I think there's more scope for weathering. That's in the future, as whatever the version, they all have a black chassis.
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking good, and almost identical to the engine on the Mustang I did.

With that there were clear instructions on how to pose the cab forwards, so if you can't see them, they probably aren't there. There were several parts that were different depending on the pose, mostly all the bracketry for the underside of the cab. Maybe they are lurking on a common sprue somewhere?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Pantsir uses a very similar chassis to the Mustang - but 8 X 8. Kamaz offer a range of modular packages, for commercial use, as well as military - I guess the engine might be slightly different - in that it may be multi-fuel. I don't think it's particularly important, as If the model is finished in a action ready status, with jacks down, and radar up, then the cab wouldn't be tilted!
Dave

First Name
Andy
Looks great Dave, when Zvesda do an engine they do a nice engine. Shame there is no tilt mechanism for the cab but perhaps you could cobble something together?

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The next step in the Zvezda instructions would have you assemble the cab, but I'm going to leave this until later, I want to complete the loadbed/chassis/running gear first.
DSCF1181.JPGDSCF1182.JPG
This is the load bed, with the 4 jacks, for stabilising the vehicle - the rams are left off, for ease of painting. The instructions need careful study, to make sure you get the bits the right way round.

These are the chassis rails - they are single pieces - nothing assembled/added.
DSCF1177.JPG
Each is 270 mm long - a very complicated moulding - no injector pin marks, or short moulding present, very nice indeed.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see tyres without that center seam, nice detail on those couplings as well .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis rails assembled - it seems rather narrow compared to other truck chassis' I've seen.
DSCF1184.JPG
No fit problems, just a bit of a juggle getting all the cross members into their correct positions.
As this is the backbone of the truck, I've used Contacta, and now that it's supported, I've run TET into all the joints - I'll leave this to really dry off before moving on. I'll check to see the loadbed fits nicely on the chassis, better to find problems now, rather than further down the road!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a few hours drying time, I tried the load bed & the engine on the chassis
DSCF1186.JPG
No fudging, fettling or filing - they just fit together! Only dry fitted, as the chassis has a lit more to be added, before it is sprayed overall black.
I've been trawling the internet, looking for Syrian Pantsir' and found these two
syrian pantsir 01.jpg
syrian pantsir 02.jpg
The first is either a very subtle camouflage scheme, or the paint has flaked off! The second looks like it has had an attack of the measles - either way I think the Syrian vehicles have more scope than the stark 'Arctic' camo.
I'll keep looking for better examples
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I seem to have spent an hour or so adding bits - but there are a lot more to go
DSCF1189.JPGDSCF1191.JPG
The assembly isn't helped by the parts being spread across several sprues, not normally a problem, but these sprues are so large, they won't fit in my normal stowage places!

I've been looking for more pictures of Syrian Pantsir'
1492494729_yayayaya.jpg
That appears pretty crude by any yardstick - and I don't think that would look any better in 1/35! Search continues...............
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Another 90 minutes produced this:-
DSCF1192.JPG
The single piece rear axles (r) need careful clean up, as there no less than 10 sprue connections on each.
Zvezda try to ensure that you can't assemble pieces incorrectly, with tiny lugs & cut outs, so you have to make sure, when cleaning up, that you're not trimming a locator off! Some knowledge of truck engines helps - if I wasn't familiar with heavy duty air cleaners, I'm sure I would have removed bits I shouldn't have...............
I have to confess to making an error - I was intending to leave the engine loose, so I could paint it separately - however, I trial fitted the engine to the chassis - it fitted positively with a click - so positively I couldn't get it out again, without damage, so I had to accept that & fix it permanently Oh well...............
Dave