Zvezda 1/35 SA-22 Pantsir ( Greyhound ) - by popular vote!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great stuff Dave the kit itself looks to be up with the best (why shouldn't it be) ,its a shame this hobby creates plastic and paint tarts , if you stood this along side a equivalent from say trumpeter or meng and said take one how many would grab the Zvezda branding, I e got a fair few of their 72nd in the stash the more recent stuff puts the big boys to shame ,keep it coming looking forward to that paint job .Dave
Dave,
brand snobbery is part of the game - after all, if it comes from the Far East, and costs twice as much, then it MUST be better. No PE? can't be any good! So far, I haven't come across any area in this model that would have been improved by PE - Zvezda have moulded all the tiny bits that other makers would use PE.
The latest Zvezda models are on a par with the FE makers, OK, their output is slanted to their home market, but when you get models like the Pantsir, I'm happy with that.
Their 1/48 Aircraft are superb, I've done the La-5N and the PE-2, and both were a real pleasure to make ( I've got the Yak-3 and the Su-2 in the stash to look forward to! ).
I'm afraid the paint job may disappoint - I'm going for a Syrian overall sand finish, I think it gives more opportunity for weathering than the Arctic camo!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Missile/gun base & control cab finished & primed...............
DSCF1218.JPGDSCF1219.JPG
The final box - which I assume is where the main electronics reside, is again a 6 part assembly mostly bevelled edges, but two tiny pins to aid assembly. Didn't assemble as easy as the other two, but my blood sugars are rather low, and my hands aren't as steady as they should be, but after poking & prodding together went together rather well.
DSCF1220.JPG
There's ladders & large handrails to add to this bit, so I think I'll leave that alone for a while, until I get some carbs & sugars into the system.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Trickiest part of this model so far! The instructions would have you assemble the two ladders off the model
DSCF1222.JPGDSCF1223.JPG
I tried, but I just couldn't get them to stay together - the parts C76 are just too fragile & flexible........................
The solution is to add the C76 to the 'box' - this stiffens it up & you can add the other parts ( even so it's very fiddly )
DSCF1221.JPG
It still needs a bit of straightening, but I'll let the glue go off a bit, before attacking it again..............
Dave

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The instructions would have you assemble the two ladders off the model

Dave, the amount of detail and work you are putting in is amazing!! :thumb2: :thumb2:
You are definitely winning!! :tongue-out3:

My perception of these Zvezda kits has changed dramatically since you started this one.

Paul.
:smiling:

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a great kit to be honest, and you are doing a stellar job on it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave, the amount of detail and work you are putting in is amazing!! :thumb2: :thumb2:
You are definitely winning!! :tongue-out3:

My perception of these Zvezda kits has changed dramatically since you started this one.

Paul.
:smiling:
Zvezda still have the legacy of many tears of clunky inaccurate models produced last century, but the last 5 years or so has seen them make models that are up with the finest Far East makers.

One thing that Zvezda don't do is photo etch - for grilles, they supply fine nylon mesh, which you have to cut to size & CA in position.
DSCF1225.JPG
I think it can look better, as it is actually 3D, and not 2D like PE.
Final box finished & primed.............
DSCF1227.JPG

I find that there are more bits to add to the chassis, so I'll do that before detail painting
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There were more parts to add to the chassis than I first thought - now the only bits missing are a covering for the side radiator ( APU? A/C? ) & the lights.
DSCF1228.JPGDSCF1229.JPG

Next up, after priming, will be some detail painting - not a lot, as not much will be visible after the bodywork & wheels are added.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

That's looking very good indeed. I agree with you about the plastic mesh. I use print screening mesh for the same thing at 1/72 and it looks very good indeed.

Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed - this is a rather awkward assembly, there are loads of spiky fragile bits sticking out, just waiting to be caught - and pulled off...................
DSCF1230.JPGDSCF1231.JPG
The wheels are assembled - I washed the tyres in warm soapy water, in preparation for painting - but decided to leave them in the natural finish - they'll be weathered later
DSCF1232.JPG
I may have to add the wheels to the chassis, just to allow it to sit safely on all 8 tyres.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Final update for the day. Wheels added, and the cab & load boxes dry fitted
DSCF1234.JPGDSCF1235.JPG
I can see that fitting the cab will be a one way operation, not to be undone, so that will be left for quite a while. It's quite a large beast, and I reckon the missile/gun mount, and the radar will just about double the existing height!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gave washes to all the boxes, and added windows to the cab - getting late in the day/year so now having to use the camera flash..............
DSCF1237.JPG

I've cut out masks for the wiper arcs, so that I can give overall 'dust' sprays, and still let the driver see where he's going
DSCF1238.JPG
I'll unite the cab & chassis tomorrow - it could be tricky, as there's lots going on under the cab, and on top of the chassis - which is why I didn't really go to town on the detail painting!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis just about completed, loading platforms, ladders and hydraulic rams & other fragile bits left off for now
Adding the cab was a bit of a struggle, but got there in the end.
DSCF1239.JPG
I can now actually start on the reason for this brute - the radar & armament!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave.

That has turned out very nicely indeed. is that an A4 cutting matter underneath it? If so it gives an idea of just how big it is?

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great work Dave.

That has turned out very nicely indeed. is that an A4 cutting matter underneath it? If so it gives an idea of just how big it is?

ATB

Andrew
Andrew,
It's an A5 cutting mat - the model is big enough to cause me problems. Normally I shuffle assemblies around the work surface, but the Pantsir doesn't leave enough room for me to work comfortably! I have to either totally clear my bench of paints, glue, clamps etc, or keep the model on a shelf whilst I work on the rest! This is one of the reasons I don't make 1/32 aircraft ( at least for a while! )..................
Yes, I could get a larger bench, but that would just encourage me to have more paints & tools on the bench.
Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That’s some Impressive detail from Zvezda. Your handling it admirably Dave :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Armament mount started ( I hesitate to call it a turret ). Many pieces - needs care as lots of parts are 'handed', and its too easy to swap them around.
DSCF1241.JPG
Some seams need a little attention, before I add the guns, but fit continues to be excellent.
I found an error in the instructions - part C7 in the 73 stage is incorrect
DSCF1243.JPG
I had already used a C7 in the gun barrel assembly. A search through the sprue, for a 'bat' shape eventually came up with the correct number - C27. If this is the only assembly error in a model which has 677 parts, then it says a lot for Zvezdas' proof reading - If it was a Dragon Model, I'd be expecting the errors to be well into the double digits!
Next up will be the radar(s).......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further work on the 'turret' The instructions are a bit vague in places, and dry fitting is essential
DSCF1246.JPG

Tracking radar, and the missile tubes assembled, and awaiting a bit of seam sanding..................
DSCF1248.JPG

I found a second mistake - parts 'G58' should be 'C58'
DSCF1249.JPG
That's it for the day...............................
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The "turret" is somewhat Gepardlike. Quite a beast. You're doing an excellent job on it. PaulE