Zvezda 1/35 T-28 Medium Tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, thanks. I've thought of it more as a basecoat, so at least they aren't in bare plastic. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time with oil paints on this model, trying different things, so should be able to get plenty of colour variation in the ones that aren't completely hidden.

You have sparked an idea though. Maybe I can attack some of them, taking chunks out of the rubber in places, denting some of the steel ones, things like that. Next thing you know I'll be doing a JR and setting fire to it! :smiling5:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, at first camoflage was my option but now having seen the many structural corners, the single color has become interesting. I'm sure with your airbrushing experience using an index card for masking without sticking helps in straight corners. I use my old business cards for this. Modulation does not necessarily need to be subtle. For a model with so many corners modulation can be lessened, it works better on larger less complicated surfaces.
Gradation highlights can be achieved with a paint brush as I did for my Ugly Tank.
It is looking good with what you've done so far and it's a long way to go with weathering. Be patient and persevere and it should come out well.

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
........taking chunks out of the rubber in places, denting some of the steel ones, things like that. Next thing you know I'll be doing a JR and setting fire to it! :smiling5:

Perfectly acceptable. Not too sure about your final idea though!..... :face-with-head-bandage:

• Haha
D

Deleted member 7181

Perfectly acceptable. Not too sure about your final idea though!..... :face-with-head-bandage:
That'll only be if I have an accident and get the soldering iron too hot! Will do my best to avoid it :smiling5:

And thanks Richard. There are so many techniques to get to grips with but the tips and advice you guys give me are helping a lot.

I'm definitely at the stage where my cheap copy airbrush is holding me back, even though it's mostly my fault. The cap that protects the needle collects paint badly which then comes away in drops so I've taken to spraying without it. Being a newbie I thus managed to bend the unprotected needle. The kit came with 3 sizes but due to poor machining only the 0.2mm nozzle actually fits, so I'm currently running the (also slightly bent) 0.3mm needle inside that smaller nozzle. It gets paint on the model but it isn't exactly ideal!

D

Deleted member 7181

It’s possible to straighten the needle, for example by carefully rolling in on a hard and flat surface, like a ceramic tile or a pane of glass. This page has a number of different ways that may work.
But then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new one! :smiling5:

I have tried a few methods on it already actually but the 0.2mm seems beyond it. I should be able to rescue the 0.3 though, as it only has a very slight bend.

After some playing around with oils it's looking more like I want it to, especially in natural daylight. Still some more work to do but I need to let it dry for a while first. I keep fiddling with it, leaving fingerprints, and having to go over it again! I'm not really a glove person but even they leave their own mark.

y2pvzFy.jpg

jkt4DtO.jpg

CGGpdIW.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
That looks very nice you have achieved a very nice metal look to the paint

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

I've only managed to break one of the antenna mountings so far which is a result, then broke off and lost part of the cupola machine gun mounting, so had to scratch a replacement. Not too destructive up to now :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mick.

One of these days I'll start stocking up on these fancy lotions & potions & pigments etc, but as long as I can make something respectable with what I have at hand I'll be happy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Mick.

One of these days I'll start stocking up on these fancy lotions & potions & pigments etc, but as long as I can make something respectable with what I have at hand I'll be happy.
Andy, most of the potions are not necessary I nearly always use home made solutions and you already manage a great finish with what you are already using

D

Deleted member 7181

Maybe not for this model but I guess the next "level" for me would be adding the likes of mud & dirt. I've seen all sorts of concoctions used including PVA, plaster, jointing compound, sawdust, sand, garden earth, acrylic paints etc. I have all of those already so should be able to cobble something together when I feel brave enough.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Andy, most of the potions are not necessary I nearly always use home made solutions and you already manage a great finish with what you are already using
QFT.

D

Deleted member 7181

Road wheels fitted today. You can see so little of them that in the end I decided not to distress them, but will add some colour variations to the visible bits.

tGwvsre.jpg

Uhji6AP.jpg

Also started adding some of the "stuff". These were all painted on the sprue so will need a few touch ups once the glue has dried. A few errant blobs of glue require fixing too :smiling4:

QW3hOcN.jpg

UPHxqXD.jpg

0b3m7k8.jpg

I can't hold it off any longer - tracks next!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have been looking forward to seeing how you are getting on with this one Andy. Its great to see it all coming together. Its the age old question - paint tools off the build or on it? Go with what is good for yourself. Good luck with the tracks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
“Quoted For Truth” — basically, “you’ve said it” or “I agree completely.”

D

Deleted member 7181

I have been looking forward to seeing how you are getting on with this one Andy. Its great to see it all coming together. Its the age old question - paint tools off the build or on it? Go with what is good for yourself. Good luck with the tracks
Thanks Steve, tracks are on!

Due to limited time I did one half last night and the other tonight, and despite being a bit fiddly I don't think they look too bad for a first attempt. No pictures yet as some of the longer, more hidden runs were given a rusty oil wash before fitting and others weren't so it all looks a bit odd right now :smiling5: